Discuss Amendment 3 Risk assessment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm curious to see if there is one. Can you not just write a risk assessment as to why the socket doesn't need a RCD?

I would not expect a risk assessment that wasn't specific to the situation to be adequate for either the purposes of the regs or covering my posterior.

I would not expect a risk assessment that wasn't specific to the situation to be adequate for either the purposes of the regs or covering my posterior.

So no ones come across anything then? Do I need to just create one as with the inspection schedule for supplies above 100A?

So no ones come across anything then? Do I need to just create one as with the inspection schedule for supplies above 100A?

Well yes of course you are going to have to create one if you require one. As I have said, only a specific document relevant to the situation would suffice.
I have to ask, why are you trying to not provide RCD protection for a socket outlet ?

I'm not against RCD protection at all. I am putting a regime in place for a company to conduct their on EICRs and would like to highlight all options. In most cases it would be straight forward to just install RCBOs but there's a chance this could run into a lot of money.

I'm not against RCD protection at all. I am putting a regime in place for a company to conduct their on EICRs and would like to highlight all options. In most cases it would be straight forward to just install RCBOs but there's a chance this could run into a lot of money.

If a company is going to conduct their own EICR's then they will be competent to do so and should know all the risks involved with not providing a RCD.

You can't omit RCD protection just because of the cost. The regs are not retrospective so can't see why it would be a problem when completing EICR's.

Documented risk assessment
Omitting RCD protection for any socket-outlet on the basis of a risk assessment is a serious matter and must never be done lightly. Such omission is not permitted for an installation in a dwelling; it is permitted only for an installation in some other type of location (see indent (a) of the new version of Regulation 411.3.3).
The risk assessment would have to be carried out in accordance with The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (SI 1999 No 3242) (MHSW), which applies in England and Wales, or the corresponding Statutory Regulations in other parts of the United Kingdom. The MHSW is referred to in NOTE 3 of the new version of Regulation 411.3.3 by means of its reference to item 10 of Appendix 2 of BS 7671.
MHSW puts the responsibility for carrying out risk assessments onto (as applicable) every employer and every self-employed person. The risk assessment relates to the health and safety of employees and self-employed persons while at work, and the health and safety of other persons arising out of, or in connection with, the conduct by the employer/self-employed person or his undertaking (MHSW regulation 3 refers).
In order for the omission of RCD protection to any socket-outlet on the basis of risk assessment to be permitted by Regulation 411.3.3, the risk assessment must determine that the RCD protection is not necessary. The risk assessment must be documented and a copy of it must be attached to the Electrical Installation Certificate or (where applicable) Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate covering the installation of the socket-outlet.
The person who prepared the risk must be prepared to justify his or her conclusion that RCD protection was not necessary, possibly in a court of law, especially if someone was killed or injured as a result of the RCD protection being omitted.
The electrical installation designer must equally be prepared to justify his or her own decision to accept the finding of the risk assessment and omit the RCD protection to the socket-outlet(s) from his or her design.

Specifically labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet
The exception in indent (b), relating to the omission of RCD protection for specific socket-outlets, is included in both the current and new versions of the regulation.
It is stressed that the exception may only be applied for a socket-outlet that has been provided for the connection of a particular item of equipment. The socket-outlet must be labelled or otherwise suitably identified so that users will be clearly informed that the socket-outlet is intended only for plugging in that particular item of equipment and for no other purpose. Unless the electrical installation designer is convinced that the socket-outlet cannot reasonably be expected to be used for other purposes, RCD protection for that socket-outlet should not be omitted.
In the vast majority of cases, it should not be necessary to omit RCD protection for a socket-outlet. For compliance with Regulation 531.2.4, a socket-outlet should be connected to an RCD that serves a sufficiently small number of other socket-outlets or items of equipment, so that any protective conductor current that may be expected in normal service will be unlikely to cause unwanted tripping of the RCD.

Last edited:

Reply to Amendment 3 Risk assessment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock