Discuss American qualified, help needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nemraf

Hi,

My husband is American, he's 29 and (to American standards) is a fully qualified electrician. They operate on a 'time served' system, everyone takes the equivalent to 17th edition to be up on the wiring regulations and then just learns on the job.

He has 9 years experience, mainly in commercial/industrial environments. We've been settled back in the UK for 12 months and he's sat his 17th edition and got his ECS card. He's been working through an agency on a couple of job sites in the UK, technically a 'mate' but doing electricians work (not getting electricians rates though of course!)

The problem we seem to have is he needs his NVQ, to get his NVQ he needs to be on a job site long enough to complete all the portfolio work but to get work with a company long enough to complete the portfolio he seems to have to have the NVQ :confused:

Is there any place which does an intensive course? Like a few weeks with on-site simulation to get the boxes ticked and the certificate signed?

Any help or advice is greatly received. If an intensive course isn't an option could I have some feedback on the online training providers?

Has he or can he talk with the organisation who advise on "translation" of foreign qualifications to British qualifications? That being NARIC. Maybe that may be an even faster method of qualifying here.

As Vortigern said NARIC is your first port of call as they work with JIB to manage the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Have a look at the following site
NARIC - International applications to the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) - https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/Occupations/New%20policy%20for%20international%20applicants%20to%20ECS.aspx
it does mention USA on there as one of the countries that are recognised.

According to the JIb who issue the gold cards. you need the American qualifications/licence to be validated by Naric, sit the 17th edition (already done you said?) sit the ECS health adn safety course, assuming already done as you said he has a ECS card? and then pass the AM2..
Non-UK Qualifications - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/Non-UK-Qualifications

Best of luck

Thanks for your help. He doesn't have any formal qualifications. In the US you can sit exams and go to college or you can be a time served electrician where your hours and references are enough to get you work and moved up the ladder. I've tried contacting NARIC but the phone queue was long and my lunch break was over before they answered.
Would you know if it's worth pursuing considering that he has no formal certificates to exchange? I can't imagine they would accept references and give him an NVQ or whatever.:(

JIB have a scheme called mature candidate assessment, whereby he'd need to show his competence.that may be worth researching.

Reply to American qualified, help needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock