Discuss American sourced light fittings used in the UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

S Grawn

Im fitting some light fittings from the US with an inbuilt PIR.
Given US mains voltage is 110-120v @60Hz UK is 240v @ 50Hz . Most fittings of this type here are designed to be wired straight into the main with no transformer but given this has a built in PIR sensor could that cause problems on the fitting working in the UK?
* Would the client require some form of step down transformer to run 2 fittings in series with 60w output bulbs?
*Where is a good place to source a hardwired transformer if required?

Wouldn't the price of the transformer outway the price of getting UK lights?

Wouldn't the price of the transformer outway the price of getting UK lights?
Would have thought so, wouldn't? makes you wonder why "the client" purchased Yank lights in the first place???

As said using 240V lights is far easier and less expensive than step downs.
But if for some odd reason they have to be used it maybe worth looking at how the PIR side is powered. It maybe easier to sort that side at low power and then use 240V lamps.

To do this properly you will need to send these light fittings off to be properly tested in a lab for compliance with British standards before you start thinking about transformers and suchlike.

Reply to American sourced light fittings used in the UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, DIY’er here. I need a replacement transformer but can’t find the exact model required anywhere. It is Golden Power GP-SW120DC0700(UK)...
Replies
Views
Purchased a Panasonic VL-SWD275 video intercom from Australia to replace my 2-wire intercom in the US. The Panasonic VL-SWD275 requires 220v and...
Replies
Views
Ferrets are known for being small, resourceful, and incredibly clever. They can solve many problems by fitting into tight spaces and doing jobs us...
Replies
Views
Hope this is the correct forum for this. I have a chandelier that holds 18 bulbs, it's not in use since ages ago and I was planning to restore...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. I'm in training but we haven't seen transformers or how they work yet. I have a transformer here I'm trying to figure out. There...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock