Discuss And i thought domestic was dirty... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LankyWill

Previous house basher for 4 years and qualified in that area. Started my new job this week and i am wiring up a flour mill. ITS HUGE, we have a production mill factory with about 4 new motors and 6 sensors wiring back to a plc unit. I have to say i am enjoying the work and seem to be getting on alright, wired 2 motors up and fitted containment ready for the plc panel motor side. The only thing is because its a flour mill it attracts rodents and the place is teaming with rats and their bodily excretions ow yeah and its on a farm aswell theirs sh*t everywhere. I think i might develop a second set of tools for this work.

You lucky lucky sod. I once did 3 months on a waste oil recycling/bio diesel plant.
Everything was coated in a layer of black, fetid, stinking, decades old grease that was deposited by the grease laden steam that leaked from every single joint and union on every piece of everything.
The rats round that place would make most Rottweilers stick their tail between their legs.

I've heard of a lot worse places to work than that too.

Hmmm been in some skanky places as a lowly sparky mate, actually saw drunk rat that had been drinking out of bottles (TRUTH) in a recycling plant. LOL what PPE are you wearing, we were in the full white ovesuits and posh resperators.

I have been working in a new plant room so its still in install phase, i have to walk through previous parts of the factory and they are hanging!!. The new plant rooms is still covered in dust and grain pulp with a hint of rats waste. Needless to say im getting a boiler suit tomorrow, i think i clung to a pack of gorilla wipes for most of the day and told myself DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE. Im a right wuss.

Where's the mill?
I'm based in Manchester but do a fair bit of pest control around Cheshire/Merseyside as shooting is my hobby and it helps out landowners. Pm me if you know any of the site owners that would be interested in having the pest numbers reduced -F.O.C and I'm a member of BASC with £10M liability for shooting activities (air & non-air).
Cheers

you lot never had it so good. try a slaughterhouse. you can smell it a mile away. after 5 minutes in there, you can't breathe, need to puke, the stink never goes out of your clothes even after 3 washes. people walk away from you in the pub. after that, rats are fun.

A milk bottling plant is not funky. The stench of sour milk stayed with me for days afterwards. Psychosomatic hell!

you lot never had it so good. try a slaughterhouse. you can smell it a mile away. after 5 minutes in there, you can't breathe, need to puke, the stink never goes out of your clothes even after 3 washes. people walk away from you in the pub. after that, rats are fun.

not worked in an abertoir but have worked on a pig breeding farm, before the end of the first day you cant smell anything and dont even notice when they fire up the incinerator..... this place had loads of complaints about the smell from nearby residents.

the smell goes straight through the overalls and takes about a week to get rid of the smell off you

Don't see any problem with a slaughterhouse yes they smell but I always got a well loaded bacon butty FOC when I went in to fix something.

Where death is involved the smell in a mortuary isn't great especially when they have a body on the slab doing a pm saw one guy turn up to do something while we were installing some kit the mortuary techs were having a bit of banter with him one said something and he was out the door and throwing up and he hadn't even seen a body

For absolute stink in places I've worked it has to be the Heparin plant in a pharmaceutical factory when an apprentice that place hummed and it seemed to permeate into the pores of your skin no matter how hot the shower was or how much deodorant you used after work you could be in a pub or club and you would smell it and notice people around you with twitching noses

Don't see any problem with a slaughterhouse yes they smell but I always got a well loaded bacon butty FOC when I went in to fix something.

Where death is involved the smell in a mortuary isn't great especially when they have a body on the slab doing a pm saw one guy turn up to do something while we were installing some kit the mortuary techs were having a bit of banter with him one said something and he was out the door and throwing up and he hadn't even seen a body

For absolute stink in places I've worked it has to be the Heparin plant in a pharmaceutical factory when an apprentice that place hummed and it seemed to permeate into the pores of your skin no matter how hot the shower was or how much deodorant you used after work you could be in a pub or club and you would smell it and notice people around you with twitching noses
when i was working at the farm it wasnt the smell that was unpleasant (it wasnt nice by any means) it was the humidity.

you could taste water droplets in the air in the birthing shed with all the young under heaters and pregnant sows giving birth

Reply to And i thought domestic was dirty... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net