Discuss Any brackets to hold large floodlight to telegraph pole? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My client wants to fit a very large floodlight 240w LED (Wirefield LED Commercial Floodlight 240W - http://www.rexelenergysolutions.co.uk/product/2500671142/Wirefield-LED-Commercial-Floodlight-240W-) to a telegraph pole. I was wondering if anyone knows of any brackets to use to attach to the pole which I could then attach the bracket of the floodlight to?

The floodlight is very heavy. I may find that the outer holes on the floodlight bracket are closer together then the diameter of the pole so may be able to just attach straight to the pole but I wondered if there was a specific bracket for this? Or any other clever ideas? :)

Hi HHD - I have used some of this gal strap to do odd brackets previously.
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/sabrefix-roll-edge-restraint-strap-bend-500-x-100mm-5-pack/85398

IMG_0453.jpg

could you not attach unistrut to the pole and then the fitting to that?
I haven't used unistrut before Gaz. When I type in unistrut to Google I get a long piece of metal with sides on it and holes throughout, could you explain how to use this to attach to the pole and then to the metal bracket of the floodlight?

Hi HHD - I have used some of this gal strap to do odd brackets previously.
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/sabrefix-roll-edge-restraint-strap-bend-500-x-100mm-5-pack/85398

View attachment 34550

As above Wilko, how would you use this? Cheers.

who owns the pole?

The client owns the post. :)

Last edited:

I can't say if relative size & weight of light and pole and strap is correct, but I was thinking of a long flat strap, bolted to the light and wrapped around pole secured with 50 - 75mm coach bolts. However this may not be rigid enough vertically, and so a couple of 150mm pieces used vertically as stiffeners. Pole, stiffeners, strap, light. Not very swish at all, but I am a farm boy :)

I haven't used unistrut before Gaz. When I type in unistrut to Google I get a long piece of metal with sides on it and holes throughout, could you explain how to use this to attach to the pole and then to the metal bracket of the floodlight?

you would have to cut the unistrut to size, then screw to the pole, you would then bolt the bracket off the fitting to the strut, maybe wrap some all round band around the post screwing that into the post and then bolting that to the strut as well.

Bend some 8-10mm threaded rod into a U bolt as suggested in post No 6. Cut some butch angle iron at least the same length and width as the flood light bracket. Bolt the thread rod round the post into the angle iron. Then bolt your flood light bracket onto the angle iron. You could use unistrut instead of angle iron but if you tighten the strut up too tight, you could collapse it’s sides. I fitted some 315W LED flood lights the other day and nearly popped a hernia, so good luck with that.

Let's face it, we all love a good challenge. We are in the right job! Carry on!
Ps I'm with the U bolt threaded bar and unistrut horizontal with a couple vertical fixed to pole and bolted to horizontal to give gravity twist strength.

You can get CCTV pole mount brackets for about ÂŁ15 that are generally designed for smaller poles but may reach to 150mm or you can get longer jubilee clips. The mounting plate is generally about 120mm, but a metal plate of larger size could be securely attached to the plate if the mounting holes need to be wider. Load rating is usually about 20kg.

CCTV pole mount.jpg

Reply to Any brackets to hold large floodlight to telegraph pole? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net