Discuss Any issues with replacing accessories for neighbour? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LandAhoy

Hi all,
1st time poster here, possibly a daft question and sorry for the long post but I like to make sure I'm by the book in these situations.

A neighbour has asked me to change some light switches, socket face plates and possibly a kitchen light fitting (all like for like changes with no additional wiring) unfortunately I agreed to this when I generally avoid any sort of homers like the plague.

Basically my background is that I used to work as a marine electrician in the shipbuilding industry but have never actually worked in the domestic sector so I am not familiar with the exact requirements to undertake this sort of work which is why I'm asking about this. I assume my background (electrical apprenticeship, 10 yrs working in marine sector, 17th edition, electrical engineering degree) means I am "competent" to carry out the work. I cannot remember off hand if I did any sort of part P stuff when I did the 17th edition.

My basic understanding is that this type of work is not notifiable under part p, does not need a minor work cert and could basically be done by any component person but I'd like to clarify this.

Basically what I want to know is
1. Am I suitably qualified to do the work (ie is there any additional qualifications or being registered with sjib for example that is required)

2. Is there any specific certification or testing I need to document for it.

3. Is there any sort of liability for this should anything ever go wrong in the future, im a worst case scenario sort of person so should something ever go wrong with his electrics or these items I don't want to find out I haven't done something by the book and am suddenly in a bad position legally. As I don't do this as a job I don't have any public liability insurance etc. Obviously it's highly unlikely that swapping these items is going to cause any catastrophic issues but I'd always rather be safe than sorry.

Note that this is in Scotland. Any help would be much appreciated

As you said, the work involved does not require certification or notifivcaction under part pee. testing is not obligatory, but you should ensure that the circuit/s is safe. one way of doing this is to perform IR tests and loop impedance tests. this would obviously require test equipment. you should also check that earthing and bonding are in place. however, even without testing, I'm sure you could do the job as well as or better than a DIYer.

BS 7671 suggests a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC), or Minor Works in plain English, could be used for the replacement of accessories or luminaires. The certificate details a series of essential tests.

As to whether to start disconnecting a circuit for testing, just to replace a switch plate, is up for debate on here. I have been known not to complete one, when putting up a new light for someone :eek:, just making a note of the Zs. If your doing more than a couple of replacements, some form of certification might be in order.

The only concern I would have, as you mentioned, is if something goes Pete Tong (not saying it would) and you have no PL insurance. Are you being remunerated for this work?

Thanks for the replies, no I'd be doing the work free of charge, purely a favour for a neighbour

I could probably not do the light as he hasn't asked yet but I'm probably looking at 2 switches and 2 sockets minimum.

Yeah it's the chance of any potential problem now or in the future that worries me I regards to legality or liability

Yeah it's the chance of any potential problem now or in the future that worries me I regards to legality or liability

In these days, where there's blame there's a claim, you can't be too careful. Depends on how well you know your neighbour. I expect they are only asking you cos they expect to save a wad of cash. I did a love job for a neighbour across the road. He turned up a week later with a bottle of Bells whisky, thank you very much I said. He said, don't get too excited, its home made wine :(

Reply to Any issues with replacing accessories for neighbour? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net