Discuss Any one know what this is ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Found this supplying a garage 30 + meters away an it aint SWA ! . Its like oval shaped and made of something like garden hose material with singles inside 6mm csa . Its coming out of the cu and Yes ' its going into the dog house then on to the garage . It then changes colour ( Orange this time/ sub CU ) then on to 5 x lamp posts +. Installing an rcbo system as the earth leakage is 20ma and all curcuits are on 1 rcd with constant tripping Durrrrrrrrr lol

20161115_110607.jpg

20161116_080827.jpg

20161116_080903.jpg

Found this supplying a garage 30 + meters away an it aint SWA ! . Its like oval shaped and made of something like garden hose material with singles inside 6mm csa . Its coming out of the cu and Yes ' its going into the dog house then on to the garage . It then changes colour ( Orange this time/ sub CU ) then on to 5 x lamp posts +. Installing an rcbo system as the earth leakage is 20ma and all curcuits are on 1 rcd with constant tripping Durrrrrrrrr lol

View attachment 34509

View attachment 34510

View attachment 34511
Old style time clock base?

An old Horstmann time clock enclosure, and that does indeed look like an old prefabricated wiring system like Octoflex.

Octaflex which was made by Hartly Electromotives Ltd or Simplex made by the Simplex electric Co Ltd,
Octaflex required brass ferrules for any joints between outlet boxes ect.
simplex required crimps and heat-shrink sleeve for any joints.
the "idea" was that all the cable was pre-cut to size before delivery to sites such, as identical blocks of flats and council estates were all the houses where of identical design.
these systems where available as far back as 1969, but I can't be sure when they became commercially available.

I think it was white sheathing for lighting , orange for power, blue for cooker.

The above is taken from the IET forum...Its all I could really find about it. I have never seen the stuff and only became aware of it a few weeks ago on here from a similar thread and @westward10 naming it :)

I remember putting that stuff in as an apprentice circa 1988. Only used it on one job mind, about 40 flats in South London. Like others have said it was deemed to be rewireable but in practice, bob hope!

Reply to Any one know what this is ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock