Discuss Any Solar Installers around Coventry/Birmingham/Tamworth area? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

T.Glass

Hi.

Just wondering if there any installers around the midlands area that wouldn't mind a volunteer coming along on a few installations?
I'm a fully qualified electrician, just starting out self employed and I'm wondering whether or not to get into the solar side of things
but I've read that it cost about £600 to pass the course so I'd like to get a bit of hands on experience with it first.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or wouldn't mind me coming along on a weekend or whenever that would be great.

Thanks, Tommy.

Hi Tommy,

Brave move going Self Employed - good luck to you - regards to the PV world, the £600 is only the start of things! remember to add on the MCS certification, Gemserve, insurance, tools and the list go's on.

Having said that its a exciting fast passed enviroment to work in and one that brings good job satisfaction.

The best way to look at Solar is its another feather in the cap.

Sometimes your better of not knowing what lies ahead as you may not ever venture into these things - that was what happened to me - i did the course then started to learn!

Im not in your area, sorry i cant help with the onsite.

Hi Tommy,

Brave move going Self Employed - good luck to you - regards to the PV world, the £600 is only the start of things! remember to add on the MCS certification, Gemserve, insurance, tools and the list go's on.

Having said that its a exciting fast passed enviroment to work in and one that brings good job satisfaction.

The best way to look at Solar is its another feather in the cap.

Sometimes your better of not knowing what lies ahead as you may not ever venture into these things - that was what happened to me - i did the course then started to learn!

Im not in your area, sorry i cant help with the onsite.

Cheers for the reply, yeah that's what I thought about it being another feather in the cap, there's a few things I'd like to add to my resume so I'm trying to get a bit of advice on each area.

So would I be wise to get a bit of experience before going on a course, or would you recommend that I just bite the bullet and get a course done?

The self-employed thing is picking up, at the minute I'm just subbying to a bloke in my area and then doing small non-notifiable jobs for people around town, changing lights and things like that just to build a bit of money up, doesn't seem to be alot about really. Everyone I speak to seems to be a bit flat for work that's why I've decided to look into things like solar panels etc.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to be accredited to install solar pv then do the course, but put your heart and sole into and go the whole hog, otherwise if you want to be a pv installers mate, then write to all the solar companies in your area and write a letter to them like you have done in this forum.The otherside to supply and install solar is cash flow and you need to have a healthy bank to fund the first few jobs, even now we pay for the systems up front to get the best price, so you need to think about that side.If I was you I think I would search the mcs database and find the local installers to you and go down that route first, to build up some real world experience.Hope this helps

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to be accredited to install solar pv then do the course, but put your heart and sole into and go the whole hog, otherwise if you want to be a pv installers mate, then write to all the solar companies in your area and write a letter to them like you have done in this forum.The otherside to supply and install solar is cash flow and you need to have a healthy bank to fund the first few jobs, even now we pay for the systems up front to get the best price, so you need to think about that side.If I was you I think I would search the mcs database and find the local installers to you and go down that route first, to build up some real world experience.Hope this helps

Thanks alot, I'll get on it asap.
I suppose even if I don't fully get in to it, I might get some regular work as an installers mate.

Cheers, Tommy.

Reply to Any Solar Installers around Coventry/Birmingham/Tamworth area? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net