1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new BritishForums.co.uk, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Anybody got any quotes yet? in the Insurance for Electricians area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Dan

Dan I'm not a sparky but I know a couple ;-) Staff Member

Anybody got any quotes from our insurance thing yet? I want to know how they perform compared to your current provider!

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty comment here. Electrician's Arms

Is it business polices only?

4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I've just done a like for like quote on a van I brought and insured last month to see how it compares. £27 cheaper using the forum insurance comparison.

Dan, Sintra and GMES like this.
  5. Dan

You can do car. There's a car page.

But it'd mostly business. We can be competitive with business. Apparently with a lot of the personal insurances, they take turns doing them at a loss to gain customers, then hope when renewal comes people don't shop around. And also then pester homeowners with quotes for other things. So we couldn't be the cheapest for most personal stuff. But can be in a lot of cases for business.

@Leesparkykent thanks matey. Nice to know. :)

Leesparkykent likes this.
  6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

My renewal for liability and indemnity insurance came through so I thought I would give this a go. I filled in my details and made sure to check the button which asked if I require PI as well as PL.
    The calls came through pretty fast, 4 calls in 2 minutes actually, which made the connected call a right pain because of all the call waiting beeps.

First insurer asked me my renewal price then said I should stick with that as they wouldn't be able to get anywhere close.

Second one that called back did not offer PI at all.

Third one did offer PI and PL combined but only had one insurer that offered this service. They quoted me £40 more than what I had told them my renewal price was. "But that's more expensive than my renewal" I asked in puzzlement. "Oh you wanted a cheaper quote than that ? Nah we can't do that" came the befuddling response.

Would I use the service again ? Nope.

8. Dan

Okay so Pl and PI we perhaps need to ditch. The calling lark isn't good. We want onlines quotes eh

9. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I'm not saying bin the service, just that they couldn't help me out this time. Maybe they can be more competitive for others.

Online quotes would be a help probably. Having to repeat all of your details over the phone several times sort of defeats the point of a comparison service, although I'm not sure if a comparison service is what is being offered here. I also got texts and emails as a point of contact it wasn't just calls.

10. Rpa07

Rpa07 I'm so over Sintra! and so under Gmes Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I purchased myself some public liability this morning after filling out the quote. First come first served and the first mouse got the cheese (spring wasn't sprung!). Shane from Autonet insurance sold me 2 mill for £73 and I went for tool insurance for £61 over the year (crazy not to). Aviva for both. I can now boast that if I demolish their house we can get it repaired, I may go to prison but they'll be happy. Thanks Dan the system works

jaydub and GMES like this.
  11. jaydub

jaydub Active EF Member

Got a good quote from Aviva, after I filled the form in on this site. Quoted me £85 per year for PLI. £1M PL, £2.5K tools cover. Seems quite good.

Rpa07 likes this.
  12. telectrix

telectrix Appreciated Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    hmmm got quotes for van insurance.because i had a slight bump 18 months ago ( claim was on my partner's insurance, not mine,) the quotes i pursued went up from £295 to £575 even though i have 9 + years NCB. i the went direct to LV and even with that taken into account, the quote was £307. thank you LV, ( a company in scouseland for scousers, i think. :) ).

13. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Don't think LV have an office in Liverpool. Their registered office is in sunny Bournemouth, I know that only 'cos my son works for them there. Sorry to be bringer of bad tidings o_O

14. telectrix

telectrix Appreciated Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yeah, don't blame them . all that crap coming down the ship canal and the M62 from munchester.