Discuss Anybody heard of PeakMeter branded testing kit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graham Hyde

Has anybody heard of or used Peak meter testing kit?
I have been offered a free socket tester with integrated rcd test function. Its in the post to me so only have the picture from online.
I saw it online and emailed asking questions, for some reason the person in china was very helpful and offered me one to show off and promote i guess? They sell them for around ÂŁ7 with free postage.
The fact its made in china is not in itself an issue, after all most things are these days - they just copy all the best western stuff anyway,
Not to sure if i would use it much in all honesty but its free so am not complaining too much :)

Any thoughts or opinions on this brand? will it even work as it is meant to when i get it?

View attachment 36053

Never heard of the brand but no real reason why it would not work as advertised, seeing they are selling them for ÂŁ7 I would assume they are fine since they probably cost less than ÂŁ1 to make.
It looks similar to other branded models out there, but I would use it at home before trying it with customers.
If it does comply with the indicated standards then there should be no problem, the only worry is: IF.

I have found that CE may stand for China Export, so perhaps send to PhotonicInduction for type testing ? Ok, perhaps he'd just set it on fire :rolleyes:

My guess is that the RCD "test" function does nothing more than the test button on your RCD will achieve.
It will not test that the RCD trips in the required times and within the limits set out.

true, however, the RCD test button is useful to isolate the curcuit at the socket and to identify which RCD/RCBO it's fed from

Well time will tell just how good the quality is when or if it arrives. I do see a use for the rcd test button as it will be useful to identify what circuit is feeding individual sockets, as i have on several occasions found circuits feeding sockets that at first glance appeared fed off another circuit. this usually seems to occur in kitchens!

How much did you pay for it if it's not a rude question Dave?

When I was an apprentice one of the projects I did was to make one of these socket testers, I don't throw old test kit away so I may even have it somewhere still. It didn't have an RCD test switch though, in those days RCD's were few and far between.

How much did you pay for it if it's not a rude question Dave?

When I was an apprentice one of the projects I did was to make one of these socket testers, I don't throw old test kit away so I may even have it somewhere still. It didn't have an RCD test switch though, in those days RCD's were few and far between.

ÂŁ5.86 with free shipping, something tells me it's been built down to a price.

My mind boggles how on earth anything can be delivered to your door for 6 quid all inclusive. I'm not holding much hope regarding the quality but I suppose time will tell...

Well it arrived today, And as soon as I opened the shipping bag I identified an obvious flaw with the product. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I have a feeling it's not going to be much good!
IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

Like.
Hmm, could be a few problems with that even with the universal adaptor!
Presumably it was from ebay.co.uk??
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, about right, but you got a pretty coloured ornament!

Like.
Hmm, could be a few problems with that even with the universal adaptor!
Presumably it was from ebay.co.uk??
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, about right, but you got a pretty coloured ornament!

Yes it's from eBay, as mentioned earlier in the thread I bought it for the sole purpose of taking it apart and seeing how badly made it is

I meant it was sold from the UK version of ebay, just goes to show you can get anything from ebay, whether you want to or not.
Lets hope that the OPs version at least has a UK plug base.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive (if it arrives) from china on the trusty aliexpress site. its a right aladdins den. the one i selected let you chose which country's plug adaptor pins were on the back. i asked a few questions and they offered me a free one so fingers crossed...

Reply to Anybody heard of PeakMeter branded testing kit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net