Discuss Anyone bought a laptop with a SSHD? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would say yes. Ive had a MBP both without a SSD and with and the difference is amazing. Only thing is is that when a SSD fails, your data is gone unlike a traditional platter drive where there are companies which can recover it so make sure you are backing up often.

Any CAD programs? Photoshop maybe? If you don't run any resource hungry applications and it's really just for office stuff I doubt it's worth paying the extra TBH.

I wouldnt completely agree there Marvo. I find even less intensive apps are much more responsive on the SSD. The laptop boots from off to useable in 8 seconds and office for example, i dont even get the splash screen any more. Just click it and its open.
It does make a huge difference though to intensive programs as well

I've got a SSD - it makes Windows start up almost instantly. It's definitely noticeable. I've got a desktop though, not sure it would work on a laptop, or even if that makes any difference.

I guess it's personal opinion whether you think it's worth extra money for extra speed on an office computer. I just hibernate my 8 year old celeron laptop and it also starts up within 2 or 3 seconds when I need to use it.

If you carry it around a lot, I'd say they're good, I've had a few issues over the years with small bumps & knocks wrecking the HDD, no important info lost, but a PITA to be without until it's fixed. The speed aspect is good if you like instant access. Though as Marvo says, hibernate mode is almost as fast.

If if its not going to be getting any of that then I'd say not really worth the extra.

TBH I am on fishing for comments! If input suggests it's worth it I will hold back until I can afford it, because from what I see there is quite a premium for the SSD

Hi mate, haven't read previous posts, but work in IT currently and we install SSDs to give a new burst of life to old machines. Well worth it, and even spending 50 quid on one for an old computer will improve its performance drastically

I converted to SSDs about 3 years ago and have found them a fantastic improvement to the performance of the machines they were used in. In my opinion the improved experience is worth the extra cost. I have also performed this upgrade for some other people or to replace dead/dying mechanical hard disk drives where a large capacity primary drive isn't required. I tend to use Samsung drives and found them to be very reliable with no failures to date. I do make a weekly backup just in case.

I use a MAC with an SSD but I also have a NAS and Time Machine so its all backed up and data copied to a safe place. The SSD is much better then the Hybrid Drives.

Remember if you are LTD Co or self employed its all tax deductable.

I would think you would struggle to find a laptop NOT using ssd these days. Much faster, like some one said, you can't recover data if it goes t**** up, but you all have back ups don't you? All my data is saved to a NAD with 2 4gb drives in raid 1. Also use desk top with same set up.

Reply to Anyone bought a laptop with a SSHD? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock