Discuss Anyone know anything about heating controls? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just swapped my ancient potterton room stat with a new Honeywell DT90E, just because there's now no argument about what temperature its at.

I have a a non condensing boiler with indirect heating via a coil thing (i think) which is unvented.

Its a Potterton Suprima 60L 78.15 Efficient D rated boiler which kicks out 17.6kW.

See link: Potterton Suprima 60L Gas - Boiler Efficiency Ratings

Reason for my concern and want to do something is because the gas bill for the last 4 weeks was £150, the last house it was only £35 per month ish, but this was 312 units, £150 of actual usage not guesstimated.

Anyway, see the photos below of what I have.

I have 15 Radiators and want to know if I can make it all wireless and have a stat in each room, so would want probably 8 room stats.

Can I do this with what I have? I have a TRV on each radiator, but what I want to know is, can I change them all for wireless and pair them all with the relevant radiators so that I can turn the heating up in one room and it opens the stat or something?

Do you see what im getting at?

Anyone know anything about heating controls? 2014-12-31 16.58.54 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone know anything about heating controls? 2014-12-31 16.58.26 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone know anything about heating controls? 2014-12-31 16.58.19 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone know anything about heating controls? 2014-12-31 16.58.09 - EletriciansForums.net

That is going to cost a lot in parts to do what you suggest. Also you could end up with your boiler running longer and using more gas . Your money would be better spent on improved insulation as Murdoch has suggested and going to a condensing boiler with compensating controls. I recommend Worcester CDI (sized accordingly) and FW100. Vailant also do one.

The house is only 14 years old, has cavity wall insulation, tons of loft insulation, everything you can possibly do.

What do you feel is causing my high gas bill?

I don't know if leaving the hot water on auto is going to be better / cheaper than leaving it on once / twice a day? Any ideas?

Whats the benefit of a condensing of the non condensing boiler? I don't know anything about them.

I think you need to be a registered, approved, trained installer to fit those....

I am a Honeywell approved installer having done their training course... But not on the Evohome, to be honest, I do not work with heating controls enough to be able to remember exactly how it all works.

Firstly the efficiency of that boiler isn't as good as modern alternatives.

But a few things to consider first before you go to any unnecessary expense are:-

Is the boiler installed in an unheated area, e.g garage or outhouse? the reason I ask is that the boiler may have a frost protection stat fitted. they are usually set at around 5 degrees C so it would be worth a check, if the temperature drops low (which it will this time of year) then the boiler will kick in on regular intervals when not in full use.

Try just turning down the TRV's in the rooms you do not use much, and keep the doors closed.

Check to see if the temperature of the heating from source (boiler) is not set too high. Many people have it wound right up causing scalding hot rads which is dangerous and totally unnecessary. The boiler will just constantly keep kicking in to maintain the flow temperature.

I noticed from your pictures that the hot water stat is set ok so are you timing your hot water, or is it regularly set to constant?

The house is only 14 years old, has cavity wall insulation, tons of loft insulation, everything you can possibly do.

I don't know if leaving the hot water on auto is going to be better / cheaper than leaving it on once / twice a day? Any ideas?

Whats the benefit of a condensing of the non condensing boiler? I don't know anything about them.
Efficiencies are much higher with a condensing boiler, but system design is also important as they only condense below the dew point (approx 55 degrees), modulating boilers condense for longer. Also how you use it, if your wife has the stat at 23 all the time, that will make a massive difference!!

Hmm, ill check about the frost thing, and having just looked at the temperature knob, its on Max..

Presumably if I turn this down will it not make a difference to the temperature of the water? Roughly where abouts should it be on the dial?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Condensing boilers are far more efficient and "more environmental friendly". They work on the basic principle of recovering as much as possible the lost heat ejected through the flue.

Hmm, ill check about the frost thing, and having just looked at the temperature knob, its on Max..

Presumably if I turn this down will it not make a difference to the temperature of the water? Roughly where abouts should it be on the dial?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Your boiler stat controls the heat of the primary pipework. You have an S Plan arrangement. This indirectly heats your water via a Zone Valve through a coil in your cylinder. This is regulated by your cylinder thermostat. It would only affect water temp if you set boiler stat at a lower temp than cylinder stat.

ALWAYS check the meter the day your bill arrives or better still the day its read. And if its estimated make sure that you submit a reading.

It could simply be that they are estimating YOUR usage based on the previous people who may have liked living in a very warm house.

If its BG, and you have opted for monthly payments, be aware that they take the previous 12 months, allow for price increases and then divide by 11!

We had the opposite problem as our house had been empty for 18 months, so every quarter they tried to reduce our payments as they were recalculating using the "zero" values!!

Reply to Anyone know anything about heating controls? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock