Discuss Anyone Recognise Mounting Kit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

whinmoor

-
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone recognise this clamp? We've been called out to sort out a job where the installer's apparently gone bust and disappeared after fitting the rails and left a pallet-load of panels on a customer's patio.

There's no scaffold - they did it from ladders - but now it's snowing. They seem to have left just enough clamps, although we've never used this mounting kit. It looks a bit like Hilti. The rounded bit of the fixing could also face downwards - we're not sure about that.

All the paperwork for MCS & FiTs seems to be complete along with most of the electrical work. The customer hasn't got any insurance details and has paid the whole amount already.

Anyone Recognise Mounting Kit? IMAG0231 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone Recognise Mounting Kit? IMAG0230 - EletriciansForums.netAnyone Recognise Mounting Kit? IMAG0229 - EletriciansForums.net

schuco, but with the bit that slots into the rails fitted the wrong way round.

Not the usual 1 turn fittings, so suspect they were using up old stock and you may have issues with the length of the bolts depending on the panel thickness.

Yes, thanks - that's good. It certainly looks like this:

Schüco Middle clamp Black for module height 35mm (set) - Black - Middle clamps - Schüco - Solar Mounting Systems - GPC Europe

I was concerned whether the clamps would fit panels awaiting them. They are 38mm thick so hopefully both the 35mm & 40mm clamps will work. Or maybe neither will. We won't know until we are up there.

Next problem is that the MCS certificate says 14 x Suntech 265w panels. On his pallet are 14 x Heckert 260w panels. View attachment Datenblatt_NeMo_60_P_240-265_DE_01.pdf

This panel only has one cable with a Tyco connector which seems to plug directly into the junction box of the adjacent panel. That's ok until you discover that the extension cables waiting in the loft have regular MC4s attached to them. It may also not be possible to wire up diagonally or even from top row to bottom row without having the panel upside down.

Options:

1) Cut cable & Tyco connector off panel 1, plug it into panel 7. Add MC4s to bare ends and connect to extensions. Repeat for panels 8 & 14. (I guess this would invalidate the warranty on two panels and we'd have to pay attention to reverse polarity.).
2) Buy 4 Tyco connectors and crimp to extension cables.

Any other ideas?

Out of interest, which company was it?

I can't say as legal action may be forthcoming.

The whole thing seems pretty fishy actually and I'm not sure I understand it. There's been some sub-contracting and/or DIY going on. I think Company A fitted the rails while Company B did the MCS certificate and issued an invoice. The panels must have either been supplied by Company A or Person C.

Who did the electrics, I hear you ask? Well, that could have been Company A, Company B, Person C or maybe even Person D. There's no paperwork about that.

We are not A, B, C or D but I think we can probably get the system working (as long as the clamps are compatible with the panels and rails) but I'm not going to be offering any warranties on this.

The householder seems confused about the whole thing as he's recently had a stroke. I'd like to help but the water's rather murky and there may be a further surprise or two in store.

Look on the bright side, give it another couple of days and the water will be frozen, nothing will be visible and you could be on plan Z.:banghead:
(And I have just cleared the message regarding not posting for 60 days)

Last edited:

Reply to Anyone Recognise Mounting Kit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock