Discuss Anyone use plug and socket to coonect lowbay fittings? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
The reason i ask is swapped out 4 old fittings for some new low energy versions and each fitting was connected to a single socket with plus fused at 3 amps. Although the new fitting didn't require fuse down i used the existing plugs.

Just got me thinking why someone would of done it this way and not used klik connectors or similar

Hi David,
The 13 amp plugs are there because they have a fuse,if the fitting developes a
fault like the choke burning out ect,the 3 amp fuse will blow.
Without it it would take the lighting breaker out and in the middle of the
night it would be very dark.

I've fitted both high and low bay fittings on commando sockets before. As mentioned, it allows easier replacement of lamps, and easier terminations. Not seen them with fuses in before though. Have seen the commando sockets with MCBs integrated though. Good idea for plants where loss of lighting circuit would be dangerous.

Used 13A plugs all the time on the plant hi-bay fiitings. Used to go in to the main shop and have a count up of the failed fittings. Take repacement fittings with me and just swap them as needed. Do the repairs at my own pace in the work shop. It was quicker than changing lamps.

The reason i ask is swapped out 4 old fittings for some new low energy versions and each fitting was connected to a single socket with plus fused at 3 amps. Although the new fitting didn't require fuse down i used the existing plugs.

Just got me thinking why someone would of done it this way and not used klik connectors or similar

As others and Tony have stated, it's very common in industrial and and even in commercial situations to have each lighting fitting on it's own fused plug and socket. Not just for maintenance purposes, but also isolation purposes where one faulty fitting won't necessarily take out the complete circuit.

I'm used to having everything on a plug and socket, as the industrial company that i originally came from, had literary Everything on plug and socket, with ready made up stand-by components and or accessories readily available close by....

Reply to Anyone use plug and socket to coonect lowbay fittings? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock