Discuss AOV Backup Power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paul__b

Anyone know what the regs are with regards emergency backup power for AOV panels?

Can AOV panels be battery backup only to drive the AOV in a fire situation or is a standby generator required in the event of mains failure?

Any cheaper solutions to a standby generator?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Aov panel must supply 72 hour standby battery power....this sound alot but unlike a fire alarm panel it doesn`t have much standby current,

Aov panel must supply 72 hour standby battery power....this sound alot but unlike a fire alarm panel it doesn`t have much standby current,
Do you mean each panel must have its own battery backup similar to a fire alarm panel?

I am looking to get rid of the backup generator feeding the AOV panels and feed these through an alternative less costly way if possible

The AOVs will be opened by 24v actuators. I'm not sure exactly what each actuator pulls but I'm guessing 0.5 amps. There is about 60 AOVs spread across 5 different AOV panels so it would be about 30 amps total or 6 amps per panel. That's if my maths is correct.

The AOVs will be opened by 24v actuators. I'm not sure exactly what each actuator pulls but I'm guessing 0.5 amps. There is about 60 AOVs spread across 5 different AOV panels so it would be about 30 amps total or 6 amps per panel. That's if my maths is correct.

Rather than guessing you'd be better off actually confirming the current demand.

ok 0.45 A @ 24v is standard opening so yes they could be on battery only, most standard panels are 10 zone & 10 actuator outputs with 2 x 12v 7a/h batteries. Panels can also be linked together or zoned off fire alarm panels.

I've just seen this.
Don't forget the principle of an AOV is to maintain the stack effect, to aid in the venting of smoke.
If all actuators were to open, the system wouldn't work effectively.
It's likely that only one or two floors will open at a time.
I've not ever had to design for a secondary power supply to an AOV panel. I've done it lots of times for a motorised smoke shaft system.

Reply to AOV Backup Power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock