Discuss Appliance supplied with Euro adapter in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GrantsonUK

Good afternoon Folks

I recently started PAT testing for a local charity shop,

At the weekend i came across a pair of strainers supplied with a europlug adapter
F7839555-01.jpg

If the plug had been the type where the euro lead had a screw and the europlug was secure i probably would have though no more about it, but rather than having a screw the plug case was sealed shut and the euro plug can be inserted/unplugged.

I'm unsure whether to test this as normal, replace the euro adapter with one that the plug is locked into or replace the plug with a standard 3 pin

Any help or advice much appreciated

Grant

Are the strainers class II?

Hi Murdoch yes they are class II

My concern is that the euro plug can be pulled out of the adapter easily and from a forum post I found on the iet forum about sale of goods without UK plugs fitted.

If the straighteners are being sold on does what is effectively a travel adaptor need to be replaced?

Thanks
Grant

As an alternative to fitting a standard plug, it is permissible, if the appliance is correctly fitted with a non-UK plug which complies with the provisions of international standard IEC 884-1, to be fitted with a "conversion plug" that has been approved for use in conjunction with the non-UK plug. The "conversion plug" must enclose the non-UK plug, and must only be removable by the use of a tool. The "conversion plug" must be approved by a notified body. The requirement to supply all appliances with a fitted plug also applies to the second hand trade.

from here; Electrical plugs and chargers | Trading Standards | Hampshire County Council

The "conversion plug" ... must only be removable by the use of a tool.
from here; Electrical plugs and chargers | Trading Standards | Hampshire County Council

Thanks Snowhead, that's what my gut feeling was telling me,

Ill admit if it wasn't for the fact its for a charity shop for the sake of £1 for a plug I probably would have just lopped the europlug off and replaced it, but thought I'd double check rather than do/charge for an unnecessary repair on a hunch.

I find the wording to mean that you should unscrew it before taking it out
But if you pull on it and the fines to hold it place break (flap over as they are normally 1mm think) then that's ok
As it wasnt ment to pull out but it can

I find the wording to mean that you should unscrew it before taking it out
But if you pull on it and the fines to hold it place break (flap over as they are normally 1mm think) then that's ok
As it wasnt ment to pull out but it can

The one on the appliance just pulls of, there is no screw in the adapter, it is moulded/glued shut

Ive got TWO different ones here, one like you talked about that pulls out but it has a screw, and i can pull out but i believe it is disconnect from L&N by the time you can stick a 1mm prob in to it.
Thats not saying if you were a NUT you couldnt pull out the Euro Plug and then stuff a Prob up the Live on the Adapter.

I also have another one that has a Curved bottem so it HOLDS the Euro Plug in and cant be Pulled out, this is on my Sony Radio Alarm Clock that came with the Clock.

I have tried my Alarm Clocks Cable in the Other one (think brought from China or Via) and Tried dam hard to pull it out, and couldnt (note i only had my Fingers Pinching them to hold it close than screwing it up). Will say the ALarm clocks L&N probs look a bit bent inwards.

Ive not seen one without a Screw, so to me it just like a Shaver Type.

10-pcs-lot-Putaran-2-Pin-EU-steker-4-0-mm-ke-Removable-3-pin-Uk.jpg

These types you cant JUST PULL out, tho i dont think it matters as you can see by the time you pulled out enough to touch LIVE its well away from it

Reply to Appliance supplied with Euro adapter in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net