Discuss applying diversity in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If you want to be picky i suppose, but i would like to think most people knew where i was coming from. Dont suppose your a member of the grammar police aswell are you :)

I have just come back from the pub having enjoyed quite a few pints of a really nice guest ale. I can only imagine that the OP has done likewise on a regular basis. Dave your patience is worthy of some sort of award. Does the OP do this sort of work on a regular basis????

I have just come back from the pub having enjoyed quite a few pints of a really nice guest ale. I can only imagine that the OP has done likewise on a regular basis. Dave your patience is worthy of some sort of award. Does the OP do this sort of work on a regular basis????

My patience is somewhat binary in its nature, as many around here will have noticed, it's either 0 - saintly or 1 -snapped.

I get the impression he's not been doing it very long

If you want to be picky i suppose, but i would like to think most people knew where i was coming from. Dont suppose your a member of the grammar police aswell are you :)

Technical accuracy is an essential part of a technical trade such as this, to use incorrect terms suggests a lack of care or knowledge.

Not a member of the grammar police, but using core t terms, units etc etc was somewhat drummed in to me at college studying chemistry, physics and electronics at A level.

Would you also put any other appliances using more than 2kw on there own dedicated supply?

If the load profile is such that I think it is worthwhile yes wherever possible I would.
Consider the load profile and portability of an oven versus that of a kettle, one is clearly suited to a plug and socket connection and the other a fixed supply.

Convince them they want more reliable, more economical, mixer showers. Hassle from lack of info gets directed at the plumber, job done, down the pub.
Andy, out of interest why is a mixer shower more economical (or reliable for that matter), than an electric? Are you assuming a Combi boiler?

Obviously, only this install doesnt have any of those appliances connected to the ring, read my posts properly

Also can i assume you have never referred to an IR test as having been meggered?

In written communication with people I do not know then I would not refer to an IR test as meggering as I know it is not the correct term for it and using it would give the impression that I do not fully understand what I'm talking about.

In a private conversation with someone I do know then I would use many non-standard terms for things.

Well rightly or wrongly im a little different, in that if was communicating with somebody who had a good understanding of electrical installations i may use terminology that isnt quite factually correct. If on a job i asked the apprentice to megger a ring main, for example, he would know what i meant as would most of my colleagues.

The problem with this forum is as clear as day in this thread. Somebody comes on who maybe hasnt got the experience or knowledge as somebody else. And rather than offer any sort of advice or constructive disscussion they prefer to lord it over these people and question their abilitys. Isnt there a place where the more miserable, less tolerant amongst us can hang out and moan to eachother.

Well rightly or wrongly im a little different, in that if was communicating with somebody who had a good understanding of electrical installations i may use terminology that isnt quite factually correct. If on a job i asked the apprentice to megger a ring main, for example, he would know what i meant as would most of my colleagues.

The problem with this forum is as clear as day in this thread. Somebody comes on who maybe hasnt got the experience or knowledge as somebody else. And rather than offer any sort of advice or constructive disscussion they prefer to lord it over these people and question their abilitys. Isnt there a place where the more miserable, less tolerant amongst us can hang out and moan to eachother.

part of it is to educate in correct terminology to those who should knw, but maybe through lack of experience don't know, and part is to put off the chancers who should not be let loose with a PP3 battery, let alone 240V. sometimes the OP does not give enough info so the "learned ones" can't tell what his/her level of knowledge is at. stopping now as it's turning into a ramble.

This 'learned one' has since admitted he does occasionally use the wrong terminology as i dare say we all do from time to time. Its just the jump down the throat attitude of some on here, i see it on other threads aswell, maybe best to stick to reading in future. How anyone ever learned from not asking questions though is beyond me

Hi Leep,

I stay well clear of these conversations now as I've had my fair share in the past. In fact the 'negativity' of posts was far far worse a year or so ago. You have to be able to accept that you will get some hostility from some people, you ignore the hostility as best you can and concentrate on the posts that have offered suggestions to you original post as this is all you are interested in isn't it. That way you get a lot of really useful information from this site.

It's rude to mention names, but there is one in this thread who 'you' may feel is being hostile or perhaps unhelpful, but if you can look past that you'll find a lot of very useful information from this member as his knowledge is great. It's not easy as sometimes you may want to tell him he's being a bit of a knob but you can't because he's actually right 97% of the time so you just sit and smile and say thankyou for the useful information :D

Hi Leep,

I stay well clear of these conversations now as I've had my fair share in the past. In fact the 'negativity' of posts was far far worse a year or so ago. You have to be able to accept that you will get some hostility from some people, you ignore the hostility as best you can and concentrate on the posts that have offered suggestions to you original post as this is all you are interested in isn't it. That way you get a lot of really useful information from this site.

It's rude to mention names, but there is one in this thread who 'you' may feel is being hostile or perhaps unhelpful, but if you can look past that you'll find a lot of very useful information from this member as his knowledge is great. It's not easy as sometimes you may want to tell him he's being a bit of a knob but you can't because he's actually right 97% of the time so you just sit and smile and say thankyou for the useful information :D

haha class.. How true.
It's a shame really as there are some really intelligent people on this forum. Sometimes though they do come across as being knobs.... intelligent knobs, but still knobs. Don't get me wrong.... I am no angle in this matter....

because he's actually right 97% of the time

97% is a very specific number haha. Please tell me you've counted his every post and gone "Helpful, helpful, helpful, WTF, helpful...."

I think written form is hard to interpret a lot of the time, and for all some people come across as abrupt I like to think it wouldn't come across like that if they'd have said it in person. This forum can be a scary place to anyone new and doesn't understand certain members, but when you stick around long enough it's plain to see those 'abrupt' members wouldn't be here unless they didn't enjoy helping other folk. I've never met anyone on here, but I think I have a fair grasp of people's personalities, and I would tailor a question differently depending on which member I think might respond.

Reply to applying diversity in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock