Discuss applying diversity in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

haha class.. How true.
It's a shame really as there are some really intelligent people on this forum. Sometimes though they do come across as being knobs.... intelligent knobs, but still knobs. Don't get me wrong.... I am no angle in this matter....

You're kind of acute though, so let's not be obtuse.

I think written form is hard to interpret a lot of the time, and for all some people come across as abrupt I like to think it wouldn't come across like that if they'd have said it in person. This forum can be a scary place to anyone new and doesn't understand certain members, but when you stick around long enough it's plain to see those 'abrupt' members wouldn't be here unless they didn't enjoy helping other folk. I've never met anyone on here, but I think I have a fair grasp of people's personalities, and I would tailor a question differently depending on which member I think might respond.

When I read my post in most of them can be interpreted as me being abrupt. It's just the way I come across. I don't mean to be.. most of the time. I am very sarcastic as well and that can be interpreted as be being a knob, by some people. As you say hightower, it's easier for us who understand certain members.

Well rightly or wrongly im a little different, in that if was communicating with somebody who had a good understanding of electrical installations i may use terminology that isnt quite factually correct. If on a job i asked the apprentice to megger a ring main, for example, he would know what i meant as would most of my colleagues.

The problem with this forum is as clear as day in this thread. Somebody comes on who maybe hasnt got the experience or knowledge as somebody else. And rather than offer any sort of advice or constructive disscussion they prefer to lord it over these people and question their abilitys. Isnt there a place where the more miserable, less tolerant amongst us can hang out and moan to eachother.
The problem with this forum, is that it is supposed to be for electricians. You come on here, ask for advice, then when a very experienced and knowledgeable member tries to offer assistance, you just pick an argument with him. You have demonstrated an obvious lack of knowledge of the regulations and a lack of respect for the "unmentionable" Dave who has tried to help you and correct your errors. What do you expect??

There was no arguing from me, look back through my posts, questions yes, arguing no. When you do look back through them you will see where the first little digs appear

For me, (and I'm new here but not to the trade) if the customer if going to such a full extent of refurb, I would definitely have put in a dedicated 6mm cooker feed. Although not completely future proof the likelihood is that most future changes of cooker can then be accommodated.

Also, using the assumption that being a bungalow and your mention of "the rest of the house" I would have opted for the kitchen ring circuit to be on the other RCD to the house not on the same as you suggest. If an issue appears or any nuisance tripping occurs then they will still have power in one area. To this point I would usually try to put the cooker circuit on a different RCD to the kitchen ring circuit for the same reason, i.e. the cooker isolator socket (if fitted) can still be used if the rest of the kitchen is out. I was also always taught to try to balance the load on a split board, having 2 ring circuits and a cooker on 1 RCD doesn't leave much for the other.

Regarding the shower dilemma, if they fail to give you information or a plan, I would suggest that you take a little more control and tell them what they can have given the supply you decide on.
Its fine you keep moving things because they are in the wrong place and getting paid for it, personally I don't like to work that way, and I appreciate many refurbs have to be a bit flexible but to all the other trades, visitors, guests etc it just looks like the sparky put them in the wrong place.

Hopefully I'm not a cute, obtuse knob!!

Reply to applying diversity in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net