Discuss Apprentice wage not increased after 1st year in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Started my 2357 last year and my employer is continuing to pay me apprentice rate. I have been on site for about 2 and a half years, have my own vehicle, 17th off of my own back and do jobs without supervision, how do you think i should bring this up? Not like i want a pay rise i just want nmw but tried dropping hints/ remarks with no luck, advice?

Without being rude and pick your opportunity wisely tell your boss that as a second year apprentice you should be on NMW for your age. No one really likes talking about money but has to be done. Say something like the other lads at college were talking about their pay increase as they are now in their second year...one of the lads told me that every one in their second year should be on NMW for their age. I was wondering if this is true and would you mind checking with your accountant ;)

Thanks for the reply, suppose I will have to mention it straight on if he won't take hints, will bring it up tomorrow and let you know the outcome

Mentioned it and decided to break it in to general conversation rather than being blunt and formal, he made a comment about 'well you haven't started yet' this was at about an hour in to being in the van with him fetching supplies. Will just have to see at the end of the week what i'm paid, shame as I would prefer to stay until i finish as work is varied and genuinely get on with him but another 2 1/2 - 3 years on 1st year pay would result in me having to look for another job as i'm 22 and my mum has said I don't have to pay board due to wages but i can't let that go on as it's not fair but quitting would be a waste of the first year

Yes, supposed to be after first year but not much I can do apart from leave or put up with it for 2+ years if he pays less

I'm on a very low wage as I'm training with my mentor and I'm 49'but there are days when I secretly say to myself that the experience I got that day - I should be paying him! (I will never say that out loud by the way)!
It'll be worth it so humble yourself and you'll find yourself rewarded sooner than you think. Also continue to thank your mum and appreciate her understanding of what you're trying to do to improve yourself.

How big is the outfit you are working for and how many others are they employing? I no nothing about how the apprentice schemes work and how easy it is to chop and change. 7029 dave's view sounds very sensible especially if you are getting a good variety of work and gaining experience. Focus on the work, seize any opportunity to take on more responsibility so that when do decide that's right to bale out the boss will regret not having given you a pay rise.

Will try to as I want the experience but having possibly another 3 years is a long time to be on a very low wage.
I was in the same boat back in the early 80's , running jobs conduit work , micc etc was 19, mad for it and enjoying myself but wages were poor, trust me it will payoff one day.

Only him and me, changing employer isn't a problem through college but I ideally want to stay working for him.

You answered your own question. You've planted the seed in his head now just get on, graft, learn and he'll see how keen you are.

Perhaps he's not making that much money himself. What sort of work are you doing? Is it domestic or commercial? Do you have a feel for the state of his business and whether or not he has asperations to develop or expand it?

as you should be on nmw legally, id say it doesent matter how well hes doind, or if he can afford, YOU should be getting it. if hes not paying you what he legally should youll be doing him a favour by asking for it otherwise im guessing the fine he potentially faces will be a damn sight more than what hes not paying you and should be.

have you mentioned it at college, or to your training officer/supervisor....?

Aaron hasn't actually mentioned whether he is on or below NMW or not. Again, not knowing anything about apprentice schemes, I can't comment. I'm assuming that there is some sort of formal arrangement between the employer and college. Isn't the idea with apprenticeships that the employer contributes toward the cost of the apprentices training?

Aaron hasn't actually mentioned whether he is on or below NMW or not. Again, not knowing anything about apprentice schemes, I can't comment. I'm assuming that there is some sort of formal arrangement between the employer and college. Isn't the idea with apprenticeships that the employer contributes toward the cost of the apprentices training?
The NMW for a first year apprentice is currently £3.40 an hour no matter their age. After the 1st year the employer has to pay NMW for the age currently under 18 £4, 18-20 £5.55, 21-24 £6.95 and 25+ £7.20.

The college gets full funding for an apprentice aged 16-19 and the employer normally gets a grant of £1500.

So in effect you are a student with fees paid plus entitlement to NMW. Difficult to argue against now with degree students having to stomp up £9k a year tuition fees with no guarantee of a job at the end and wacking great loan to pay off.

I'm on above apprentice rate for first year but but less than nmw, those students don't have to crawl around lofts in summer and can possibly walk into 20+k starting salary without doing a days work so it goes both ways, got paid the nmw but only because he said he'll pay me double for a certain day if i drove and did it myself so will probably be back to normal next week, don't want to mention it to college in case it makes things worse

Reply to Apprentice wage not increased after 1st year in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock