Discuss Apprenticeship for an older guy? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry guys, I resurrected this thread because the OP only logged on once and didn't reply. He's in the wind, don't waste your time except to grumble about not appreciating help!

Just looking at this 'similar thread ' to the the apprenticeship interview question. This OP did not respond and has not been on the forum since asking the question! Now unless he lost his username or got hit on the head and forgot he wanted to be a spark
THATS JUST RUDE - considering the input many of you and me replied.
As @Pete999 would say - Rant over!
Steady on Mate you'll be on them BP pills before you know it, he is offline now, but agree with you, a thanks would be nice, make you feel or warm inside, hey up that's the Red doing it's work, so come on OP say something.

Maybe too ashamed ,
Unrealistic dream -shot down . (afraid of 2+2)
Discovered he was dissabled / excluded form training .
Just exploring /forgot how he got here ! (Del-History)
( another time wasting wind-up...Arghhh)
....come on OP... (as Pete999 said)
...Please don't leave us out in the REIN ... randomly !

Wow, sorry all, didn't see an email notification of responses so assumed no-one had replied. What an awesome thread, and thank you all for responding... lots to read through and digest. I have a lot of research to do! You are absolutely right it was completely rude not to respond or say thank you. I can only apologise.

Thanks again everyone!

Snuffy 2 we was worried - had a search party out and all.
It was me that was miffed and brought up the thread - read through it all and give us your thoughts since
APRIL 20TH!

Snuffy 2 we was worried - had a search party out and all.
It was me that was miffed and brought up the thread - read through it all and give us your thoughts since
APRIL 20TH!
Yeah already had the SAS on standby.

Hi all,

Some thoughts on your advice...

I'm not afraid of hard work... had to do that for my degree, and then in IT to get my foot in the door, and then various exams and training (ongoing) to keep it in the door.

It's a big concern about the difficulty in getting an apprenticeship, due to my age. I couldn't afford to study without a job, nor the risk of not getting a job at the end of it. I got a fairly generic response from one of apprenticeships I applied for to say that I was 'shortlisted' for the next round of interview/selection days. We'll see if I ever hear from them again.

I like the idea of night school. I could see how I get on with it, maybe find a local 'taster' course if there is such a thing.

Apprenticeship salary is another concern. My other half would probably not appreciate little/no money coming in, so night school might be a good option if I could keep my current job. If I were to do a night school course, evening/weekend work, casual Saturdays etc is a good recommendation, I could contact a number of local electricians. "Post in the jobs section of the forum see if someone's willing to have you shadow them on odd jobs." - I would also be willing to volunteer to work for free in exchange for a bit of experience and training.

Reading books/youtube - will definitely do that and see if it interests me enought to keep reading.

Specifics on costs for training were excellent, thanks uksrevior. I definitely value the apprenticeship route as I've seen people in IT with all the key certifications yet no idea what they were doing. on a similar note, the statement about Cisco accreditation... I have the first couple, they were the hardest exams of the the IT ones I've done, but only using the knowledge for a brief time in a previous job without the hours and hours of hands on they're worth nothing... so £250/day is great, but requires experience in addition to the accreditation to go with it.

I appreciate all your advice everyone, I am truly sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you so much for your time!

The only problem is the money side. As a 18/19 apprentice the money is not all that great to begin with so does not cost the company a lot of and I think they are paid by the government. In your case if you left your current job you would have responsibilities to take in consideration with the drop in income. whilst you could get the formal qualifications at night school its the practical experience that goes with it which you could gain helping out on Saturdays etc.. and get your foot in the door that way with gaining experience whilst keeping your income with your current job.

Reply to Apprenticeship for an older guy? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net