Discuss Armour sheath carrying a voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sdc8843

Hi guys,

Had a situation the other day where the armour sheath on sub mains was carrying a voltage of about 55V.The sheath was not being used as an earth and was only there to give protection to the cable. Can anyone tell me why this occured?

Many thaks

If you were using a digital tester, their high input resistance makes then very sensitive to voltages induced by capacitance. Try the same test with an analogue instrument and you'll probably get a very different result. It would be good practice to earth bond the outer armor of the cable using an SWA gland and earth ring or copper strapping.

Sorry should have said, the armour hadn't been earthed to the trunking. But what i would like to know is why the sheath was carrying a voltage.

As Marvo has said it is most likely an induced voltage.

How many cores are in the SWA and why is the armour not connected to earth?

Reply to Armour sheath carrying a voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As the title says, I am looking for a recommendation for an enclosure and gland arrangement to electrically isolate or divorce the earth/armouring...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum. I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
I have a metal Hager sub CU, 10 way RCBO, installed in 2018 in an accessible attic space, this sub-CU being fed from another unit close to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock