Discuss Attention Subcontractors - what's your opinion on electricians pay? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ha!

I wish people who write petitions would care enough to look up the difference between affect and effect. Maybe even write 'and' in full rather than '&'. Intelligible sentences would get the message over so much more effectively.

Eric M, I agree with your opinion that electricians are generally grossly under paid.

The JIB rates in my opinion may almost be suitable for some domestic or commercial installation work, although with the broad range of skills and general site working conditions, I really think the rates need a 20 - 25℅ lift.

For the design, specification and selection of equipment and testing required for jobbing works, I believe we should be looking at figures upwards of £30/hr.

I have spent many years in another industry in the past and can honestly state that the skills and knowledge required of today's electricians is miles away from the rates paid to unskilled half-wits with no responsibilty.

Funny thing is I keep taking calls from agencies screaming for electricians for £17/hr on short term contracts with flat rates. Usually want you to work 50-60 hrs a week at flat rate.

Last Agency I worked for was paying £20 per hour, 9 hour days get paid 10.
Through the hours paid was due to the employer not the Agency.

thing are starting to improve in the capital but we are underpaid, the problem with subbies nowadays is the management companies take such a big cut for so little work that the smaller guys don't get much of the pot left, we have put quotes through a big management company and by the time it has come out the other end to the client the price has practically doubled, we would love to get what was put on the quote but that would then take us out the market as our price would be to high compared to other subbies, what gets my goat more is half the time these big management companies cant even do the job properly and we are left to clear their mess up and sort it out ourselves.

oh and iirc the cost to live out in australia is quite expensive.

What you forgot to mention is the Australian link is for the ETU - Electrical Trades Union. Big government projects normally come under an Enterprise agreement or for short EBA. The Union has to sign off on this EBA to accept the working conditions for the contractors. -------- or corporate greed will normally lead to the union Delogate it refuse to sign off. Hence better conditions of pay. Why the government or private companies use an EBA is because the risk would be far greater employing an unregistered group of company's to start a large project.

You pay $32 a fortnight for Union membership.

My point is that this will get nowhere in the UK without a union that has a moderate amount of power with a large membership base. To fight for better conditions and paying conditions. For people who say that is doesn't work then you should look at Victoria. Staunch as a State with local large electrical companies who comply with the set out hourly rates... Otherwise you can end up doing work for a company who does not have an EBA and pays $20 an hour - which works out about £10.50

Reply to Attention Subcontractors - what's your opinion on electricians pay? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock