Discuss Aurora - Ever Been Lucky Enough To See It? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
This is on my list. Still haven't seen it yet it's been on my list for years.

Anybody been lucky enough to see one of them, if so where and how?

I've seen a couple of cruises where they say if you don't see it after a couple of weeks you get your money back.

Properly once, from our old front garden. Conditions were absolutely perfect that night. Moved into town now so would need to head away from the artificial light and in the early hours of the morning with the kids, etc. its just not worth it.

I live on the Isle of Skye so can be seen quite frequently.

Attempt at uploading some pics. Certainly not a profesional photo/fancy camera so should give an idea of how vivid it was that night!

FB_IMG_1472590485805.jpg

FB_IMG_1472590641969.jpg

Wow that's bloody amazing. Very lucky.

I have heard north of Scotland has a few good spots away from light pollution but travelling all the way there on a maybe just isn't worth it. I could do with going visit some places maybe and just keep an eye out on the forums and whatnot to see when we've had some solar activity.

Holiday to Norway at the right time of year is your best bet really, have heard that's one of the best places to experience it.

Yeah I think that's where one of the cruises set off from. And they go out far in the sea for a few days to get a good chance of seeing it and turn all the ship lights off etc.

Saw them in Iceland a few years back.

Was something me an my dad had on our bucket list, so we decided to head out before his health turned.

Don't have words to describe them that will do it justice, it's just something that needs seeing to understand.

I have seen something very similar to Resu's photographs many years back. Being further south it was in no way as vivid or defined but was mainly reflected through the clouds. Still amazing to see and I would love to journey North to properly view it one day.

We have had a couple of fantastic husky dog sled holidays in Sweden (February half term) and bloomin cold (Minus a lot). Its a bit hit and miss to see the lights even there. The Japanese, and others, spend a fortune at the Ice Hotel and often still don't see anything.
Last trip we got this (taken by a fellow sledder who had a very fancy camera)
IMG_3273.jpg

Seen the northern lights when in Canada with the Army and seen the southern lights when in Tasmania.
Didn't know about the aurora Australis until a mate mentioned it a couple of years back.

(No smugness intended) we see it regularly being in the land of irn bru and haggis. We've seen it twice this week. Perfect view out of our lounge/bedroom window. Never tire of it an other wonders. Such a beautiful natural phenomenon :)

I want to go on one of the Artic circle cruises to see them! Might be a bit chilly though @Dan

Reply to Aurora - Ever Been Lucky Enough To See It? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net