Discuss Back box fire ratings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I carried out an install on a kitchen in a village hall a while ago I installed some deep back boxes on the brick wall but the builders then installed batons the wall and used insulation board so even my deep boxes weren't close to flush with the wall, I put in some long screws to get round it and went on my way.

They've recently had a sparky come round and tear the place to pieces on an EICR and he's come back with saying all the boxes I've installed need replacing with "firelined" boxes because their is a fire risk because of the celotex in the wall.The sockets are all on an 30ma RCD, The customer has come back to me and is asking if I did a bad job and I've been trying to find some clarity on this, does their need to be more fire protection round all the sockets??

any help would be greatly appreciated

So you have a gap between the front plate and back boxes and it sounds like you have a large gap. I agree with the person who did the Report although I may have worded it differently.

You can put fireproofing in the boxes retrospectively and comply with the requirements quite easily. There are two types I know of, one is a kind of putty you mould into the box and the other is a mouldable fireproof material you tuck into the box. I think Part P apply to domestic. As a matter of interest what are the boxes you installed made of ?

I've used 45mm steel boxes already.
I spoke to the builder who was in charge of the job and he's told me that building regs have no requirement for fire rating of any kind as far as the wall in question is concerned as it's onto an outside wall the ceiling above goes beyond boarding and has only an uninhabited attic above and thinks the guy who put this down is an idiot....

Though I've looked into the extension boxes and I like that solution so for my peace of mind I'll stick them in,Thank you for the help guys.

As said outside enclosure so got reasonable point we have to fit these not because the council clerk of works likes them as we have boxes when double boarded needs them likes to see metal box flush with surface.

Reply to Back box fire ratings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net