Discuss Back up generator for pub? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GarryJ1990

Evening all,

I have been asked to quote to install a back up generator in a pub in the power fails which it did last week with over 200 people queuing at the door which was very costly to the owner as it was Scottish Powers fault.
It is something I have never done before..... there is a large cellar/store room directly below the origin which is 2 x 5 way DB's in a cupboard behind the bar where I had planned the generator would be positioned in this room directly below. Noise wont be an issue as if it is ever needed the club will be in use and have loud music.

I had planned to take around 6 essential circuits out the existing DB's into a new one fed by a changeover switch OFF/BACK UP/NORMAL ?? and just loop the tails for the new DB from the isca blocks supplying the existing 2.
The essential circuits are just 2 socket circuits just for small load pumps etc and the rest is sound system and lights + emergency lighting.

Any input from any guys done this sort of thing/best way to carry it out before would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Garry

A generator located indoors will need a well designed and tested fresh air supply and exhaust system with possibly some interlocking.

The changeover switch needs to isolate the entire installation.

You need to consider the earthing arrangements, you may need to changeover from a DNO earth to a local earth for the generator.

The generator may need a solid earth connection for the N-E link

+ many,many other considerations. You cannot bank on loud music,as a cover for running when music not on...fridges,alarms,safety equipment,will need to function whether Boney-M is playing,or not...

In addition to Daves questions,i would want to know who owns the building,fuel storage,and adding,responsibility for use and operation,do outages knock out other local services,such as water,sewerage etc...it is a bigger project than it appears.

Reply to Back up generator for pub? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net