Discuss bang & olufsen speaker cables in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've seen CAT 5 used as speaker cable a while ago, apparently it has pretty good frequency response. I always wondered if it would have sufficient CSA, the high end speaker cable is 6mm sq or even 10mm sq, you'd need to double-up a lot of CAT wires to achieve even close to that.

bang & olufsen speaker cables

We have used cat5 for other ceiling speakers in the house & they sound ok. The reason I ask about b&o speaker cable is that I'm going to have to cut the cable that's attached to the speaker and join it through I was hoping its ok to use cat5 for my join?

Like Marvo says, cat 5 has a pretty low csa. Why not do a proper job and either replace or extend the cable with speaker cable, similar to what's already being used?

If it's your own house, you can do what you like. If you're doing this for a customer, I'd say cat 5 would be a rough job.

I am amazed this is being contemplated, B&O's idea of a budget portable stereo has a four figure price tag and a TV costs more than most cars - I can't see the type of people paying this kind of money are going to be too impressed about you splicing in a bit of cat 5!

The other aspect to be aware of is that if the amplifier ever fries itself and the manufacturer finds out about your handiwork I should think the warranty will disappear in a puff of smoke and the owner of a very expensive amp could well be looking for someone to blame and pay.

paul

bang & olufsen speaker cables

I agree with all comments on this situation , if it was up to me the correct speaker cable would have been used throughout the house!! Unfortunately it was not my decision , so I didn't do any joints and let my boss get on with it ... It appears to work. For now.

Reply to bang & olufsen speaker cables in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock