Discuss Barmy I know, but shocks?? from plastic switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

A customer called to say she has experienced small shocks from three different light switches in her house.

The hall, the lounge and the kitchen.

This has happened on three occasions over the last couple of days.

I said, I assume they are metal faceplates...

Nope, 100% plastic...

Ok, so I said, well I am firstly not concerned as to my knowledge a Class II fitting is that for a reason and plastic doesn't conduct electricity.

I said are you sure it wasn't static? I asked is they had new slippers or shoes? new carpets etc? different clothes?

They said no, nothings changed.

I said, well ill pop round on Wednesday to take a look, but doubt ill be able to find anything as they are all plastic.

Any thoughts on this? I cant see how its possible.

She hadn't got wet hands either, switches has not got wet on them, all dry, 10 year old house too, nothing untoward.

I went round there last week to swap a couple of toilet fans, but thats it, house is in good order.

Just looking for any thoughts on what she may be experiencing?

I’ve had this before. Got the testers out and tested between the plastic and earth and got +50V. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it. Anyways, just replaced the switches and everything was fine.

Reply to Barmy I know, but shocks?? from plastic switches? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all! This is my first post and I have registered to ask for some help with troubleshooting an electric shock I got from a plastic light switch...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just been perusing the AM2/E/S threads on here. Thought you might like a bit of a review. If, like I did, you find yourself...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Not an electrician myself, but seeking knowledge, a second opinion and/or advice on the necessity to take action. Hope this is the...
Replies
Views
This might be long so feel free to grab a brew. So, as some of you may know, i'm a 34 year old who has been dying to get into the industry. I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock