Discuss Basic stuff for basic blondes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Now now they are bein clean and he has really helped be nice sintra calm the beast :0p

Just a gentle reminder :glasses2:

Just goes to show that the onsite guide is just a guide - it often has no bearing on reality

Zs is not equal to Ze + R1 + R2 unless in the unlikely event that you have no bonded extraneous conductive parts (even then R1 + R2 is a measurement of resistance not impedance so how can it form a part of Zs?)

Is this helpful or not as im reading it

I never said that Zs is the sum quoted, what I said was that using that sum is a perfectly acceptable method of obtaining a value.

Another thing that's often mentioned is that Ze can be obtained from the DNO by enquiry. They'll just give you the maximum figures as quoted which will probably bear very little resemblance to the value you'd get if you measured it but it's still an acceptable method.

As was said by someone else (Dillb I think) I've also seen exam questions worded like that and the correct answer is to use that sum.

I never said that Zs is the sum quoted, what I said was that using that sum is a perfectly acceptable method of obtaining a value.

Another thing that's often mentioned is that Ze can be obtained from the DNO by enquiry. They'll just give you the maximum figures as quoted which will probably bear very little resemblance to the value you'd get if you measured it but it's still an acceptable method.

As was said by someone else (Dillb I think) I've also seen exam questions worded like that and the correct answer is to use that sum.
yes...and another one i`v seen creeping into threads of late is measured & nominal values of Ze...and where they go on forms...

yes it is, some of the answers to your exam questions will be in there, regardless of what is actually said on here the correct was to calculate Zs=Ze+(R1+R2) and you be expected to know that in the exam.
and where to apply the 0.8 correction factor....that is to say to measuered or tabulated values of Zs...and when..and when not to apply the 0.8 correction factor Ze+(R1 R2) V direct Zs

It's acceptable because it's weighted on the side of caution - both max Ze by enquiry and Ze + R1 + R2 ignoring bonding, both these methods employ a safety margin to simplify testing...

Ok for the 5wws but if you have a borderline value, you will need to test 'properly'

Way over my lil brain but il come back one day and be like ohhhh thats what they were talking about. You knowledgeable men you il keep that on my phone then

You should be writing formulas down, even if they mean nothing now you will know them and learn them quicker when you do start to learn them.

Yes i will and have them just takes me a while to get used to it all and all your blooming jargon etc its like nursing no one knows what im on about unless your a nurse i guess

Reply to Basic stuff for basic blondes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net