Discuss Basic stuff for basic blondes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And nothing else in the trade is weighted on the side of caution?

Did I say I would use it? Outside of an exam situation I wouldn't dream of it because it's RAF and bloody lazy.

And nothing else in the trade is weighted on the side of caution?

Did I say I would use it? Outside of an exam situation I wouldn't dream of it because it's RAF and bloody lazy.

Was no way implying you would use it - just debating the merit of accurately determining Zs

a direct measurement of Zs is always more desirable as its a true value of loop...not gained by applying a `hot & `cold` measurement....

plus it takes into account reactance...hence `impedence`

a direct measurement of Zs is always more desirable as its a true value of loop...not gained by applying a `hot & `cold` measurement....

plus it takes into account reactance...hence `impedence`

Just because we never use it doesn't mean we should neglect to mention it as sarz will probably be asked to use it in her exams.

This formulae is more often used as

R1+R2=zs-ze

Because we are not always allowed to power something down and you are allowed to calc some values for test sheets, not ideal but its better than nothing

Just because we never use it doesn't mean we should neglect to mention it as sarz will probably be asked to use it in her exams.

R1+R2=zs-ze

Because we are not always allowed to power something down and you are allowed to calc some values for test sheets, not ideal but its better than nothing

If you can't power down, how are you measuring R1 + R2?

R1+R2=zs-ze

OK...so if condition reporting...would you need to power down to prove earth continuity (one of the outcomes of (R1 R2)?

Right il continue to catch up with this drama tomorrow its quite interesting to try work out haha id be here forever nighty night for now

Even if you use long lead method (R2) to calculate cpc, you still have to 'power down' to determine R1 and Ze - you may as well just invent a figure for Zs, jot it in the form and be on your way lol

Even if you use long lead method (R2) to calculate cpc, you still have to 'power down' to determine R1 and Ze - you may as well just invent a figure for Zs, jot it in the form and be on your way lol
well....it was actually for that shanky article to work out....

however R2 is adequate for condition reporting...together with Zs...so by means of a breakout box/prods as required...you wouldn`t need to power down...would you....i just wanted to see if he could work it out...

you would need to power down for your end to ends (ring) and IR as usual but....using this method you cause minimum disruption ...

well....it was actually for that shanky article to work out....

however R2 is adequate for condition reporting...together with Zs...so by means of a breakout box/prods as required...you wouldn`t need to power down...would you....i just wanted to see if he could work it out...

you would need to power down for your end to ends (ring) and IR as usual but....using this method you cause minimum disruption ...

...and for Ze

well...if you cant power down then UV is OK for condition reporting...

in other words you report/note/record what you were able to see/measure....

yep lims agreed

Come to think of it I could phone the customer and get him to run round with a tape measure (I know the resistance of cables per meter), then I could fill in the EICR from my comfy armchair at home while watching Columbo!

.... you still have to 'power down' to determine R1 and Ze .....

You can get a Ze value by "enquiry" to fulfil the EICR requirement! But then it also wants you to prove (tick) that you have "connection/continuity" of the earthing conductor (and bonding conductors) ..... and as we know you can do that live! Or have I missed a trick/technique somewhere?

yep lims agreed

Come to think of it I could phone the customer and get him to run round with a tape measure (I know the resistance of cables per meter), then I could fill in the EICR from my comfy armchair at home while watching Columbo!
well you could do....but then you`d be missing the all important inspections wouldn`t you...

You can get a Ze value by "enquiry" to fulfil the EICR requirement! But then it also wants you to prove (tick) that you have "connection/continuity" of the earthing conductor (and bonding conductors) ..... and as we know you can do that live! Or have I missed a trick/technique somewhere?

If it's TT then Ze by enquiry will probably be a value of 'how the ferk should I know!

Reply to Basic stuff for basic blondes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock