Discuss Bathroom bonding with steel stud walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard Redman

Hi all, after some advise on bonding in a bathroom, ive fitted an electric shower, its RCD protected and ive bonded the water pipes. 2 of the walls in the bathroom are steel stud walls, another electrician says it doesnt need bonding as its on a RCD ? Help

If they are proven to be isolated then no, any cables passing through them require additional rcd protection.

Yes, ive seen this before, terrible!
Think I'll bond it to the pipes that are bonded for peace of mind !

I think that's the best option, especially in a bathroom and they also say you should not rely on an RCD for protection of life. Our NICEIC inspector pointed this out to us a couple of years ago.
I actually felt the sparks who tested this and signed it off was hard done to, how would they have been able to test if the studding was live... especially if there was no leakage to earth at the time.

I think that's the best option, especially in a bathroom and they also say you should not rely on an RCD for protection of life. Our NICEIC inspector pointed this out to us a couple of years ago.
I actually felt the sparks who tested this and signed it off was hard done to, how would they have been able to test if the studding was live... especially if there was no leakage to earth at the time.
NIC say no more

That situation had little to do with the studwork not being bonded and more to do with lack of testing although it is highly unlikely it would have been picked up until the boiler leaked. Scape goat comes to mind.

Even if metal stud wall and cables RCD protected the metal stud work is isolated from earth and could have been live for years however there was a sequence or events coming together in this case if a screw went through the live conductor to the metal stud how could the be identified during a insulation resistance test ?.As long as the cable is installed to the regs eg cable zones protection of abrasive edges RCD protection of cable in metal stud walls. Other trades need educating of where not to insert fixings. When I used to do house bashing we used to mark the floors (and on both sides of stud ) where the cable runs were.

Even if metal stud wall and cables RCD protected the metal stud work is isolated from earth and could have been live for years however there was a sequence or events coming together in this case if a screw went through the live conductor to the metal stud how could the be identified during a insulation resistance test ?.As long as the cable is installed to the regs eg cable zones protection of abrasive edges RCD protection of cable in metal stud walls. Other trades need educating of where not to insert fixings. When I used to do house bashing we used to mark the floors (and on both sides of stud ) where the cable runs were.

Totally agree, what is the argument against earthing the metal stud frame during first fix?

The main problem here was not that the Painter and Decorator who conducted the I&T was not qualified, was not the fact that QS passed the certification, was not the fact that the NICEIC registered company allowed the situation to save money.
It was simply the fact that the dry liners were not aware of or ignored the prescribed cable routes.

Going back to the article where the girl died, how could this have been prevented?
Mechanical protection, earthed sheath or RCD protection.
Perhaps even by educating the dry liners as to where prescribed routes are?
The Coroner in the case did suggest that drawings showing cable routes be provided by the electrical contractors for other trades.
He also indicated he was not happy with the NICEIC QS system, stating something along the lines of: it is flawed and open for misuse.

Reply to Bathroom bonding with steel stud walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net