Discuss Bathroom bonding with steel stud walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the advise on this, ive conflictincting views from other sparks, which has made me dout my own knowledge of whats an extraneous part or not.
I think it comes down to years ago they use to make you bond everything and the kitchen sink! But systems hsve changed, and RCD's are in play now.
Its an older type plastic c/u but ive arranged it so that all circuits are RCD protected except for down stairs lights, as not enough room on that side, so all circuits upstairs and the bathroom are protected.

Bare in mind all cables irrespective of depth require additional protection when installed in a wall with metal components/ stud.

Brilliant, thats cleared the conflicting views ive had, cheers Ian .
Also on the subject of bathrooms, the light in the bedroom from which i want to take a feed from for bathroom lighting has been run in twin no earth and the lights im fitting in the bathroom are ipx4 plastic fittings . What would be the best option here ?

dispite being plastic are they class 2 equipment or do they have internal parts like metallic gear tray which requires a earth?

Generally the regulations require a cpc to be ran to each point of the electrical circuit apart from suspended bayonet lamp holders forming a standard ceiling rose.

Initially, i was going to run from the bedroom light to a swtchrd fuse spur and then run my two new bathroom lights and extractor fan, but now ive noticed this bedroom light has no cpc .
I'll be using 1.5t&e, but i have no earth to connect to and borrowing an earth isnt good practise !

Initially, i was going to run from the bedroom light to a swtchrd fuse spur and then run my two new bathroom lights and extractor fan, but now ive noticed this bedroom light has no cpc .
I'll be using 1.5t&e, but i have no earth to connect to and borrowing an earth isnt good practise !
so feed your SFCU ( 5A or 3A if fan instructions call for 3A ) from a local socket circuit. label in the CU that the bathroom lights and fan are supplied from MCB --- via FCU with the FCU location.

do all the lights have no cpc to them?
Can you install a new supply to the bathroom lighting from the DB?
What happened to the existing wiring to the bathroom lighting?
Is this a newly built room? If so you've installed a shower so just install a new supply.

This is an en suit to the bedroom , so the light for the room will remain in the bedroom , so need to fit lights in the bathroom.
I dont have enough room in the c/u to fit a another cb . This seems to be the only light in the house without a cpc.
The closest socket i was going to use to feed an electric towl radiator via a sfcu, could i run lights, fan and radiator from the sockets via a sfcu ??

So, after reading through these feeds, am i understanding that a steel stud wall in a bathroom is an extraneous part, which doesnt need bonding as all the circuits in the bathroom are RCD protected?
Thanks for the advise on this, ive conflictincting views from other sparks, which has made me dout my own knowledge of whats an extraneous part or not.
I think it comes down to years ago they use to make you bond everything and the kitchen sink! But systems hsve changed, and RCD's are in play now.
Its an older type plastic c/u but ive arranged it so that all circuits are RCD protected except for down stairs lights, as not enough room on that side, so all circuits upstairs and the bathroom are protected.

You'll need to think on that, otherwise you are non compliance on division of installation reg 314.

Think you need to take step back and draw breath, and reconsider your addition/alteration.

This is an en suit to the bedroom , so the light for the room will remain in the bedroom , so need to fit lights in the bathroom.
I dont have enough room in the c/u to fit a another cb . This seems to be the only light in the house without a cpc.
The closest socket i was going to use to feed an electric towl radiator via a sfcu, could i run lights, fan and radiator from the sockets via a sfcu ??
Choose another upstairs light to come off?
One with a cpc.
Install a new mains and double up with existing upstairs lights, this will be one circuit after all.

So running the new lights and fan from the bedroom light via a sfcu and towl rad from the sockets via a sfcu will keep the division of circuits of reg 314

Reply to Bathroom bonding with steel stud walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net