Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Billy Whizz

Hi all,

Recently replaced single bathroom ceiling rose with four downlighters. All works great.

Added an in-line bathroom fan (with timer) in the standard fashion using the switched live (SL) from the light switch, in accordance with provided wiring diagrams and fitted labels.

Fan now runs as soon as power is applied from the CU through the isolator, with no on/off control when the light switch is operated. However, at the same time the lights ARE switched correctly.

So, SL & L connections swapped on the fan, finally controllable by the switch. But now there's no fan run-on regardless of timer adjuster position!

Replacement fan from supplier (manufactured 8 months apart according to the QC sticker) is doing exactly the same thing as the first!

Before I fire off at them and get it all refunded can anyone see something I've missed?

Thanks & best regards,

BW

Whoops! I knew I'd forgotten to add something... :)

Lighting wiring removed from junction box to make it easier to view.

20170723_153254.jpg

20170723_152527.jpg

deleted

Are youre connections in back of fan isolator ok

Sounds like there is no permanent live to the fan if it is not over running. If there is one when the light is turned off the fan is faulty

Last edited:
i'd be inclined to get the fan bench tested. wire it on a plug and flex.using the cpc of the flex as a S/L ( just for testing, of course). and dab the S/L on to imitate the switch. L, N.SL. see if it works then. if not, it's a duff fan.

oop s. post made before seeing pics. get an electrician in.

What is the section of bell wire doing.

No Lee42, I am not a professional and I would never profess to be one. This is a DIY forum after all... ;-)

And I'm working with what the previous owner left me. If you could explain your CPC, single insulation and conductor identification comments I'm sure I can also rectify these issues.

Yes, the connections in the back of the isolator are good. While troubleshooting I also wired the fan directly to the junction box to confirm the isolator wasn't faulty.

Having already got the fan operating in a switchable configuration (by swapping the marked L & SL at the fan) I'm now curious as to why I've had to do this.

Telectrix,

Bench test is an option but I'm highly suspicious that two different units seem to be faulty in exactly the same way.

Best regards,

BW

Westward10/ED17,

The old ceiling rose (a strange and ancient metal thing) had it's case earth wire connected to it...

And I'm working with what the previous owner left me.

if that's what he's left, i seriously suggest getting the whole installation inspected/tested. who know what other horror bodges he's left you.

cpc... circuit protective conductor ( earth wire )
single insulation... the outer sheat of the cable should be inside the J.box, not showing the colour (single) insulation outside
coductor ID... all conductors should show the colour they represent. e.g black used as live, should be sleeved brown. etc.

How have you connected the downlights. The cpcs or earths are the bare copper wires and they all need sleeving and connecting. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician in.

How have you connected the downlights. The cpcs or earths are the bare copper wires and they all need sleeving and connecting. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician in.

Assuming CPC is when you earth any installed fittings, there are no CPC connections on the fan assembly or on my new downlighters. Hence nothing now goes to the bellwire.

Just for entertainment, this was the archaic light fitting previously installed.

20170723_171558.jpg

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net