Discuss Bathroom Extractor install - Advice Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

purple

Hi Guys, I have three questions I would appreciate some help with if some kind sould could help me out.
in a nutshell:

I have a timed inline extractor fan I wish to install in the loft (Manrose MF100T) instructions requires it to have 3A fuse fitted (I don't want to open up 'that can of worms' here so, lets just assume 3a fuse will be fitted here.

I have an unused old isolator pull cord outside the bathroom, which I would like to use for the extractor.
(i.e I don't want to chase walls or fit trunking to add new switch boxes for an isolator or FCU and would prefer to use a pull cord system to isolate)

Ideally the isolator (and fuses?) needs to isolate just the fan, not the bathroom light. But would like the bathroom light to activate the fan.

My questions are:

Is taking a feed from the bathroom Rose for the inline fan notifiable? since I will be adding a wire to it.
All other electrical work will be done outside of the bathroom in the loft (the main reason I purchased an inline fan) Anyway round this if so?

If the extractor requires fusing at 3 amps. Does adding a FCU make the work become notifable also?

and lastly, If the would a simpler method for me (not being a qualified spark or having part p) to install
the fan and isolator, and install two 3a inline fuses on the perm and switched live terminals on the fan
and not use a FCU?

Now I know this forum is littered with similar threads, so excuse me, I have spent hours trying to come to answer my own questions with no avail, it's not so much the electrical side, but more the red tape, regulation and compliance I am struggling with, that confuses me.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Any alterations to wiring need to be tested and a certificate produced, regardless of notification to building control or not.

Alteration of wiring within the special location will need to comply with the wiring regs for that location.

If you don't have the equipment and/or knowledge to achieve this you should call in an electrician for this simple and likely not very costly job

Another thing - the change of wiring to add the fan means the circuit needs RCD protection due to Regulation 701.411.3.3 (from 2008). No worries for an Electrician but definitely not a diy task imho.

Any alterations to wiring need to be tested and a certificate produced, regardless of notification to building control or not.

Alteration of wiring within the special location will need to comply with the wiring regs for that location.

Thanks Andy. So is it just taking the feed from the 'bathroom' ceiling rose that brings about the need to certify here?

or example; If a feed wire was already in place from a previous install or.. I don't want the fan to turn on with the bathroom lights and for hypothetical arguments sake, lets say I took the live feed for the extractor from a hallway light - where the isolator is located. Do I still need certification for that? since nothing was altered in the special location.

Another thing - the change of wiring to add the fan means the circuit needs RCD protection due to Regulation 701.411.3.3 (from 2008). No worries for an Electrician but definitely not a diy task imho.

Thanks. Even though this is an inline fan being fitted in the loft not in the area of the the bathroom?

Thanks Andy. So is it just taking the feed from the 'bathroom' ceiling rose that brings about the need to certify here?

No, it is a requirement of the wiring regulations that all alterations and additions are tested and a certificate produced to prove safety and compliance with the wiring regulations.

The existing system also needs to be checked that it is suitable for the alteration. Earthing and bonding need to be verified and upgraded where necessary. These are all requirements of the regs.

notification to building control is an entirely separate issue

I read it that way ... RCD shall be provided for circuits serving the bathroom or passing through zones 1 or 2 ... I have reworded Reg. but hopefully accurately. Likely your upgrade (good fan btw) triggers the first part.

Thanks for all your help guys, Wow, I really thought I would be able to just do this job myself by keeping work out of the bathroom area and not have to jump through all the hoops and expense of getting people in to do the job. well maybe I'll just do the dirty work and pay someone to check, connect the laid cables and sign the paper. If I don't get told it's not worth their time o_O

In hindsight I don't think I will wire it off the bathroom light anyway, as I figure it will be a waste of energy having to turn the light on when not needed (in day time) just to activate the fan. Although I have read today of inspectors not signing off installs for both ways (fan turning on with light and fan not turning on with light) both contradictory, and likely due to subjective interpretation.

Thanks for all your help guys, Wow, I really thought I would be able to just do this job myself by keeping work out of the bathroom area and not have to jump through all the hoops and expense of getting people in to do the job. well maybe I'll just do the dirty work and pay someone to check, connect the laid cables and sign the paper. If I don't get told it's not worth their time o_O

In hindsight I don't think I will wire it off the bathroom light anyway, as I figure it will be a waste of energy having to turn the light on when not needed (in day time) just to activate the fan. Although I have read today of inspectors not signing off installs for both ways (fan turning on with light and fan not turning on with light) both contradictory, and likely due to subjective interpretation.

If you are going down the route of getting an electrician in, then get one involved before you start. Many will not certificate others work, and those that will, will want to instruct you as to the method.

Having already provided the fan though, I do not think it will be an expensive job for you to get an electrician to do the whole job.

Cheers Andy, I'll ring round and get a quote. I will at least fit the ceiling and roof vent etc though, no way I'm paying for that to be done as well :D

Cheers Andy, I'll ring round and get a quote. I will at least fit the ceiling and roof vent etc though, no way I'm paying for that to be done as well :D

Yes, I can't see any objections from any electrician to that being done for them.
Good choice of fan by the way. I have been fitting these on bathroom refurbs for 6 months now and I'm impressed with them. Very quiet operation even on the highest setting. An excellent fan for the money.

Reply to Bathroom Extractor install - Advice Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net