Discuss Bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robert B

Hi,
We have a bathroom fan controlled by the light switch with over run, fitted when we had a partial rewire. Have all the correct paper work relating to the work.

The bathroom has no window, hence the fan. Would it be electrically safe circuit-wise to have another one wired and fitted up to the first so that more air could be removed near the toilet area within the bathroom? ie two separate outlets, one for each fan?

Don't want to appear a fool if I ask our electrician

might be more ecomomical to upgrade existing fan . but there's nowt stopping you fitting another fan to the existing circuit, providing regs. are complied with.

Hi - what they said ☝️
I'd think about converting to an inline fan. They perform better and you can get ones to fit your ceiling hole and ducting. But you do need to be able to access the ceiling space, as it won't fit through the vent hole. Normal ceiling extractor fan is about 75m3/hr and these are typically 3 times that. This is a Manrose MF100T just to show you the set up.

IMG_0447.JPG

I fitted one those a while back, cos of ducting run in access of 3m. Had to run it at it's lowest setting though, cos it lifted the toupee of the clients head every time he walked into the bathroom :eek:

Agree with telectrix, get a improved air flow fan. Two fans on one piece of ducting can be problematic.
As midwest said above as you have no windows the fans usually have time delay off if the timing between the two is not spot on on fan could run on longer than the other resulting in exracted air from one fan comming back through the one that has stopped.A fan as in the photo above with timer overrun is ideal however the ducting should be as short as possable with no bends as it gives resistance to the extract air flow it should also be insulated duct in loft space as to stop the warm extracted air condencing as it hits the cold loft air.

Reply to Bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net