Discuss Bathroom Hairdryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BillyTheSparks

Hello All Wise and Wonderful Persons!!!! :rofl:
(only joking!)

I am currently working in a house which is being complete refurbished. Whilst walking through the job with the client, he asked if it was possible to have a power supply for a hairdryer within the basin unit in the bathroom, so that the hairdryer could be left in the drawer unit and used when needed.

I have seen similar things in hotel bathrooms abroad, but was unsure of our wiring regs on these. I'm thinking that I could get an isolating transformer [if required] (like in shaver outlets) located by the CU and run a separate circuit to the basin unit, with a flex outlet plate mounted inside. Obviously this circuit will be protected by a 16A 30mA RCBO.

The supply is PME with plastic water supply pipe and the gas will be going direct to an out building and MEB carried out at that point and in the meter box.

Any thoughts would be great

Cheers
Billy

My first thought would be whether it falls foul of the rules on sockets laid out in section 701, regardless of it being housed in a vanity unit or not. I would be very surprised if it doesn't.

Well the shower room (sorry my mistake earlier) is only approx. 8' by 9' and so any electrical apparatus will be within the 3m zone, but looking at the book of words (page 201 701.1 - Examples of zone dimensions. Example d) shows a shower/basin with a fixed partition and zone 2 up to 600mm from that partition.
The hairdryer will be outside zone 2 of the shower, but not outside Zone 2 of the wash basin when it is intended for use.

On the page before, 701.512.3 it states that in Zone 2 - Switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket outlets shall not be installed with the exception of:
I) switches and socket outlets of SELV circuits
II) shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5

Except for SELV socket outlets complying to Section 414 and shaver supply units (as above). Socket outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3m horizontally from the boundary of Zone 1

So if I can get a SELV transformer to cope with the loading of the hairdryer, or if the product is suitable for use in Zone 2 I should be ok?? And if I'm reading it right then the flex-outlet plate will not be in any Zone, as it will be within the unit below the sink.

Courtoisy bedroom hairdryer - Aslotel

I'm not sure as to which make/model he would like to have installed, but I know he doesn't want one that is fixed to the wall with a flexible hose. He definitely wants one that is in the drawer unit.

It would need a biggish transformer for the loading of the hair drier, also although the faceplate of your electrical connection may be outside the zone the flex will enable you to take the appliance into it.

yes you can get isolating transformers 240/240. or you could fit FCU in the unit and cut plug off hairdryer and hard wire it.

For the record Billy, basins have no zone.

I cant see how a 1:1 isolating transformer feeding a socket within 3m of zone 1 can comply with the regs. It would still be a socket, and neither a shaver socket or a SELV socket.
Tel's suggestion of a fused spur would technically be compliant, but would leave you with an electrical appliance you could drop in a basin of water. If this was my job I would be trying to wriggle out of providing power in the bathroom at all.

Bear in mind a handheld hair dryer is likely to be double insulated and won't have its body earthed in any way, so potentially quite dangerous if you have just stepped out of the bath!!!

How about a re chargeble hair dryer?? charge it up use in the bathroom no problems

Bear in mind a handheld hair dryer is likely to be double insulated and won't have its body earthed in any way, so potentially quite dangerous if you have just stepped out of the bath!!!

?? Oh, bit like an electric shower then?

Solution to this is:
Wall mounted 230V unit - hose to head - autoswitches when lifting/replacing head
They've been linked in previous post(s)

Tell customer it's that or nothing

Just use a made for purpose wall mounted unit where all electrical components are enclosed in the wall unit and none in the flexible hand held unit, Sorted.....

Switched fused unit in cupbord or greater than 2.25m from floor.. Duct with draw wire down to dryer location... Fish cable up on 2nd fix to sw fuse connection.. The unit is double insulated! All bathroom circuits require no greater than 30mA rcd protection which you will have in your new high integrity db.. If you want greater peace of mind put on 10amp rcbo 10ma I^n

Reply to Bathroom Hairdryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net