Discuss bathroom lights and extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Centiweasel

hey guys this is my first thread here and the first time i have tried to do electrician stuff at home
so basically the pull cord switch on the ceiling had broken and i couldn't find one exactly the same so i opened it up and i actually managed to fix it
and now it actually works but its not the same

the fan comes on when the light comes on and turns off when the light goes off
before it would stay on for about a minuit after the lights went off
also when i turn the huidity dial it wont come on
the only way i can explain it is that there is no power going into the fan apart from when the lights are on
so what have i missed here how do i make it stay on when the lights go out
i looked inside the fan and i can see where u adjust the time but it does nothing
the model inside says 15722 humidistat from screwfix but i cant find any info online
it comes up with manrose however it doesn't sat that anywhere on the fan

cheers for reading
chris

also i forgot to mention that inside the light switch there was 3 wires
1 went into the com hole and 2 went into a single hole marked A1
the com wire and one of the othere wires had earth wires coming off them that went into the one bit
i just put them back how they were im pretty sure i didnt mix them up

A picture of the inside of the switch and the inside of the fan showing the connections may help :)

Sounds, in it's most basic form, that you've got the permanent live and switch live to the fan connected to the same place.

naughty. some muppet has used the cpc as a live., sleeved red. i'd asdvise getting an electrician in to put this right. there might be other bodges. and get a henry on that fan. soon you'll be having mice nesting. :(

naughty. some muppet has used the cpc as a live., sleeved red. i'd asdvise getting an electrician in to put this right. there might be other bodges. and get a henry on that fan. soon you'll be having mice nesting. :(

Absolutely agree this is completely RAF!

However wasn't there an article fairly recently suggesting that this exact practice was allowed? So long as it was an insulated GY conductor and sleeved appropriately.

However wasn't there an article fairly recently suggesting that this exact practice was allowed? So long as it was an insulated GY conductor and sleeved appropriately.

Really??? That just seems wrong regardless of whether it's allowed or not. I always use 3+E for this, then I know if someone nails the cable at least there is a chance they'll hit a CPC that's connected!

Really??? That just seems wrong regardless of whether it's allowed or not. I always use 3+E for this, then I know if someone nails the cable at least there is a chance they'll hit a CPC that's connected!

Just thought I'd point out, I am in complete agreement with this. I would never do or allow it on any of my jobs.

Hi - this cable now travels as L, SL and N conductors but no CPC - which can't be ok, can it ?

Been racking my brains Rob but what is RAF?

Hey all, thanks for your replies
I see you all agree that this is a bodge and even tho I don't understand all of the technical bits i have to take your word for it
i am still confused about it
If I put it back how it was to start with then how come it won't work the same?
Can't I just bodge it back how it was

Reply to bathroom lights and extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock