Discuss Bathroom zoning question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys
Quick question regarding moving my bathroom pull cord to a switch.
I was measuring my bathroom zones as per 7671, and I would like to put a light switch 0.73m outside of zone 2, the problem is I could not see anything relating to a light switch in particular only a socket, And pull cord switches.
All the circuits are RCD protected.

whilst it is good practice to fit a wall switch outside the bathroom,that far outside zone 2 might be acceptable.

whilst it is good practice to fit a wall switch outside the bathroom,that far outside zone 2 might be acceptable.
Thanks, the main reason I did not want to fit outside the bathroom is I have two cheeky girls who would find it fun to turn off the light while someone is in there, and I would chuckle when the wife is in there.

Last edited:
Thanks, the main reason I did not want to fit on outside is I have two check girls who would find it fun to turn off the light while someone is in there, and I would chuckle when the wife is in there.

That sounds reason enough to put it outside to me, you know, for a laugh.
Did you mean Czech girls or cheeky girls ? If you meant cheeky girls do you mean the cheeky girls ? and were the cheeky girls Czech ?

A plate switch is allowed outside the zones of a bathroom. A switch should be at least 0.6 m from the edge of the bath or shower (outside the zones) and must be suitable for the location. The cords of cord-operated switches are allowed in zones 1 and 2 and are recommended for bathrooms and shower rooms to account for the humidity and condensation that could occur.

So as long as its an appropriate Bathroom IP rated (IPX4) plate switch it can be just outside Zone 2 so 730mm is 130mm safely outside zone 2

Last edited:
A plate switch is allowed outside the zones of a bathroom. A switch should be at least 0.6 m from the edge of the bath or shower (outside the zones) and must be suitable for the location. The cords of cord-operated switches are allowed in zones 1 and 2 and are recommended for bathrooms and shower rooms to account for the humidity and condensation that could occur.

So as long as its an appropriate Bathroom IP rated plate switch it can be just outside Zone 2 so 730mm is 130mm safely outside zone 2

I did see the reference to a plate switch but presumed that related more towards a switch for an electric towel heater,
Yes your right it is over 1300 outside zone 1 and 730 outside zone two.

put it outside.use a metal faceplate. connect L to the earth terminal. cheeky girls won't do it twice. ( joking btw).

Are you intending to reuse the pull switch or are you using a plate switch, I ask because of the 1.5m.

So as long as its an appropriate Bathroom IP rated (IPX4) plate switch it can be just outside Zone 2 so 730mm is 130mm safely outside zone 2

There is no requirement for anything to be IPX4 outside the zones as far as I know.

No it only applies to zones 1 and 2 but outside the zones you have to take Reg 512.2 into consideration.

Yep I'm very aware of that, but no specific IP rating for outside zones is stipulated. IPX4 is suitable for splashes, but splashes are unlikely to be encountered outside the zones.
Collection of moisture through condensation is more likely the culprit 730mm outside of zone 2. Appx 5 defines this as code AD2 which is satisfied by IPX1 or IPX2.

Yep I'm very aware of that, but no specific IP rating for outside zones is stipulated. IPX4 is suitable for splashes, but splashes are unlikely to be encountered outside the zones.
Collection of moisture through condensation is more likely the culprit 730mm outside of zone 2. Appx 5 defines this as code AD2 which is satisfied by IPX1 or IPX2.
So a plain whit Mk light switch will suffice. I don't fancy on of those outdoor grey switches.

My worry is wet people with wet hands walking from the shower and switching the switch.
Granted you aren't in the bath or the shower but even so..
So pull cords are safer. Then again if the lighting is on an RCD your protected.

My worry is wet people with wet hands walking from the shower and switching the switch.
Granted you aren't in the bath or the shower but even so..
So pull cords are safer. Then again if the lighting is on an RCD your protected.

I did consider that, however the wettest I think hands will be is damp.
So I'm not expecting water to be running off hands.

Reply to Bathroom zoning question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net