Discuss Battery, Charger and Mains Circuit not working! Static Caravan, VanRoyce. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Delina Dimova

Hi everyone,

The problem's history: Bought the caravan with an low level charged battery, hooked it to the main, heater and water pump worked for two days until the battery died. Bought a medium level charged battery, plugged it in and after three days it died. We checked the charger with a one of them gadgets that detects if their is electricity going in and out - black and red pen looking things and a reader. It said there is electricity going into the charger but not going on - this must be where the problem is, the circuit isn't complete, mains are connected, battery is connected but charger isn't giving electricity out. Bought a new charger, fitted it and the problem has not been resolved. Charged the battery by the time the new charger arrived, fitted the battery, the new charge and the mains... electricity to water pump and central heating, all working. Four days later and the battery died, the charger.... I don't know... something in the circuit isn't working.

Ive called static caravan place is Essex for help, they told me to call auto electricians,I have been leaving messages, finally one person answered and said that I need certified electrician for this issue so I called electricians and after explaining the problem they told me I need an actual caravan electrician so... now I am turning to you.

All the help is appreciated in advance.

With love and with light

Delina

Are you running a 12v fridge for long periods when the mains are off?
I don't really understand why you are using 12v when you have mains power.

Hi,it is not clear,if you bought a battery,or a battery charger. Has the battery been checked or replaced?

Also,is your "checker",a volt-pen? if so.it may well not detect the DC output from any charger.

Bit daft running a static caravan off batteries tbh. Touring caravans virtually everything goes through the control panel so I would have suggested that at fault but with a static I'd have no idea where to start without looking as it sounds a bit of a strange set up. However if it's a single battery powering everything (assuming it's a normal static van with all 240v points) through an inverter yes you'll pretty much always be dead.

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replies guys

its a mobile two berth caravan but it is static as i am not towing it around.

it has mains socket that plugs to mains electricity of the house near by and that charges some of the lights inside the caravan and one electric heater as well as a fridge. the fridge also works on gas but the gas won't work unless the battery is working.

the battery is a normal car battery and the charger is, i don't know, its a brown box inside the caravan.

something wrong with the charger i think cos its not powering the battery and obviously the charger is the converter, that tales the 240v electricity from the mains and transforms it into 12v electricity to go around into the battery and from the battery to the water pump the radio and the gas heater and the other sets of lights.

a new charger/converter has been put in

the battery is form a car that was being scrapped so it was working and it got charged separately before putting in.

so supposedly individually each bit is working fine.

only when they are suppose to do a circuit they r not.

any further comments will be appreciated.

thank you

You need a proper deep cycle leisure battery, a car battery is not suited to that kind of use

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Also depending on the output of the battery in amp hours, and the charging rate of the charger , it may not be able to sustain the requirement of the accessories you are using.
If this battery you are using is from a small car ,and only has a low amp hour rating it will probably not sustain continued use .
An 80 amp hour or thereabouts would probably be a better investment, depending on your requirements and the size of the compartment.
First you need to get someone to see if you defiantly have charger output.

PS. Just check if there is a car/caravan change over switch on the control panel, and if there is that it is set to the correct position.

Last edited:

Reply to Battery, Charger and Mains Circuit not working! Static Caravan, VanRoyce. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock