Discuss Battery Storage Gets A £1m Boost in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Worcester

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Re: battery Storage gest a £1m boost

@sean_ork

I think the difference here is that between WPD and SSE, SSE are not just a DNO they are also a generator and provider hence from your report
Scope and objectives

The scope of this project was the creation of commercial incentives to encourage an ESP to locate an ESS where it would provide real benefits to a DNO.
Objectives:
Create commercial contracts that will incentivise 3rd Party ESPs to locate on a constrained distribution network
Prepare a tender process that will ensure that the ESPs selected will fulfil the success criteria
Design up to 2 connection points for ESSs outside KPS
Award up to 2 ESPs

Success criteria
For this project to be a success commercial arrangements had to be identified that would be shown to attract ESPs with suitably tuned ESS

i.e SSE wanted to develop a contract to make money out of it.

The WPD approach is technically focussed, they are not a generator, they are not an energy provider. They are looking to understand the grid scale technical issues of energy storage and the economies of scale.

This is also one of the reasons why working with WPD makes them the easiest and most accommodating DNO in the country and time and time again come out as #1 for customer service

You might be right, just seems daft duplicating efforts - for what it's worth SSE have never given us any cause for concern.

I read " the creation of commercial incentives " more of a proof of concept point, being able to show that storage is financially viable is one of the sure fire ways of getting manufacturers really interested.

I followed what was going on up there when it was all being put together and I was impressed how the whole community got behind the project as well, great project and glad it's all working out for you guys.

Cheers, I'm sure Tesla would sell a good few of their batterys in a box device (if they dropped the price by two thirds) - there's a lot of electricity being generated and "managed" up here.

for your scale and the industrial scale where space is not critical, there is far better, a whole lot cheaper, and orders of magnitude more environmentally friendly storage technologies (than Li-ion or Lead/acid or gel) already available.
.. Watch this space for announcements as they come to the domestic market (so long as you've got the space). If you haven't even a tesla powerwall weights about 100kg :) So you'll need a strong wall.

Essential reading for anyone selling / installing / planning to... Battery Storage

#1 Best seller currently at BRE
Batteries with Solar Power: A Technical Guide to the use of Energy Storage with Grid-Connected Solar Photovoltaic Systems: BREbookshop.com

Plus the FREE consumer guide, with a good set of 20 questions, essential reading for the consumer and your #1 sales guide :)
http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/ns...66-BRE_Solar-Consumer-Guide-A4-12pp-JAN16.pdf

BRE News realease https://www.bre.co.uk/news/Solar-storage-guidance-launched-at-key-time-in-PV-market--1135.html

#1 thing we picked up over the last couple of days (obvious when you think about it duh ! I just hadn't got that far with my thinking)

If a battery storage system is installed in parallel to an existing PV system EVEN IF the battery storage system is ony designed to supply power to reduce imprted power, so not set up to export, as it is a generator in it's own right it needs DNO approval to connect., AND if you're fitting it to an exisiting 4kWp/3.68kW / 16A system you'll need to submit a G59 application ......

If you are REPLACING the existing inverter or it's a NEW installation with a combined store / pv system then so along as <=3.68kW not an issue. Though if replacing, you should of course notify the DNO of a change of generator.

I think whether this applies or not will depend on the design of a specific system, and if it is based around an AC coupled or DC coupled battery.

I can see DNOs being sniffy about an AC coupled system (simply because of definitions even if in practice it shouldn't be a problem) but cannot see why they would have any issue with a DC coupled system that utilised a single G83 compliant inverter.

Obviously, retro-fitting a battery system is almost certainly going to be AC coupled.

eta - The battery won't be considered an SSEG, but the inverter via which the battery discharges will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC coupled doesn't appear to be an issue - single inverter usually and type approved to G83.

It's the AC Coupled / Retrofit environment that the DNO's are sniffy about / potentially requires approval and it's G59 because the potential is there to go over 16A if already got a G83 3.68kW PV inverter attached. Even though the role of the systems is only to provide power on demand to the house load, the systems on the market don't have any formally approved export limitation devices. in practice Western Power are being most flexible and accepting assurances from SMA and Victron, so sometimes it's just a phone call.

Bearing in mind that the better systems can be configured either for uses such as load levelling i.e reducing import or base load support e.g. nighttime discharge then the DNO's are looking favourably on it, and may even start to require it as their infrastructure gets more unevenly loaded.

Last edited:
DC coupled doesn't appear to be an issue - single inverter usually and type approved to G83.

It's the AC Coupled / Retrofit environment that the DNO's are sniffy about / potentially requires approval and it's G59 because the potential is there to go over 16A if already got a G83 3.68kW PV inverter attached. Even though the role of the systems is only to provide power on demand to the house load, the systems on the market don't have any formally approved export limitation devices. in practice Western Power are being most flexible and accepting assurances from SMA and Victron, so sometimes it's just a phone call.

Bearing in mind that the better systems can be configured either for uses such as load levelling i.e reducing import or base load support e.g. nighttime discharge then the DNO's are looking favourably on it, and may even start to require it as their infrastructure gets more unevenly loaded.

By implication would this mean if you already have a G59 approval and the battery system can't exceed the approved capacity there would be no need for further consent?

Reply to Battery Storage Gets A £1m Boost in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock