Discuss Bedroom light wont work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sekhmet

Hey all!

A few weeks ago my bedroom light was on when all of a sudden the light flickered badly while making a crackling sound then BANG, it blew and the light went off. The next day I could see the light bulb fitting was a bit charred and all the upstairs lights had gone. I changed the upstairs lights fuse and they all worked again - apart from my bedroom light. Ive tried a few things to fix the problem but nothing has worked. Ive obviously tried changing the bulb, checking and changing the light/ceiling pendant wires, changing the light bulb fitting, checking and tightening the dimmer switch wires but nothing is working. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and if I can fix it myself? We are moving house soon so money it tight and would like to get it sorted before we move out. Does anyone even know an average cost if I need to get an electrician out to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Did you just change the flex and lamp holder?

Might seem a daft question, assuming you have a modern type ceiling rose, have you connected the flex in the two outer connections???

I take it respectfully that you aren't an electrician, if not then this again respectfully ought to be moved to the DIY forum or more likely it's a wind up

Well no this isnt a wind up and looking at where Ive posted it I am in the DIY section

Forum>Electrical Forums>DIY Electrical Advice>Bedroom light wont work

it's quite possible that the fault, which you may have cleared, has blown the dimmer, as it took out the fuse. easiest option is to replace dimmer with a cheapo ÂŁ1 standard rocker switch. obviously, isolate the supply before replacing.

well no this isnt a wind up and looking at where ive posted it i am in the diy section

forum>electrical forums>diy electrical advice>bedroom light wont work

Only one user account is permitted so please stop making additional accounts and posting this same question.

Thank you tele, thats something I will have to try. I have no other accounts and I have only asked this question once. WTF!! When I posted the question it told me a moderator would have to approve it, maybe the mod has moved my question but I have asked it ONCE and I have NO other accounts. Nice, friendly forum you have here.

must be a glitch on the forum, then.

Must be because as you can see by my profile, Ive only posted one thread here and thats it but I wont be posting any more :) But thanks anyway.

Thank you tele, thats something I will have to try. I have no other accounts and I have only asked this question once. WTF!! When I posted the question it told me a moderator would have to approve it, maybe the mod has moved my question but I have asked it ONCE and I have NO other accounts. Nice, friendly forum you have here.

It was me that approved this question so I find that strange. Very funny that the question was nearly identical then. Plus the IP addresses of both accounts where the same and even the Dates of birth entered where identical. Then again I must be making it all up.

Ive just found out my dad has been on asking also even though I told him I was sorting it out. Sorry about that I had no idea he was posting also. Yes my dad and I share the same day and month but obviously not years.

well that's cleared that up then.

It was like an Agathie christie mystery for a while!!!

Reply to Bedroom light wont work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net