Discuss Beginners guide to home automation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DavidWick

Newbie here so go easy please!

Am working on a new build that will be more high end then im used too! they are having the touch screen control panels in each room to control lights, heating & whatever else they choose (believe they are using Phillips dynalite range)

The spec, cables etc is being designed by an AV company, I will just be running cables for them.

I have to be honest though I have NO understanding of very basic wiring process as to how my feeds/switch lines are run when these touch screens are used, at some point i assume I have to wire via a patch panel/control module and then say cat6 to touch screen, but at what point? for example on a lighting circuit is it still mcb - to light and switch line goes back to AV cupboard - then cat6 back to touch screen switch? or am I way off and over complicating it??

Im sure I could just ask AV company but id at least like to understand very basic wiring process before job starts so please any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are running cables for a 3rd party, I would ask them to clarify what types of cable and where they run from and too.

Guess and get it wrong will cost you loads.

As above. Any specified job should be laid out for you to install. Any questions should be referenced to the designer in the first instance. They would also be best able to answer your questions about the basics of how their system works.

That's my worry, but there seems to be a delay from there end getting plans etc so id like to run at least feeds and links for down-lights. its more just to understand the step by step ie consumer unit to light or consumer unit to din rail module then to light ... so I at least show signs of understanding when we eventually discuss it!

Get a cabling plan and termination schedule as systems vary. Often you will need to run a supply to a dimmer / non-dim switch pack in a convenient location, which will serve as a DB & controller for individual radials to each group of fittings. Intelligent fittings might need DALI and a permanent feed. I was upgrading a Dynalite system the other week, that used an RS485 bus between dimmers, driven by the AV control processor, which used the corporate LAN to talk to the touch panels / iPads.

Get a cabling plan and termination schedule as systems vary. Often you will need to run a supply to a dimmer / non-dim switch pack in a convenient location, which will serve as a DB & controller for individual radials to each group of fittings. Intelligent fittings might need DALI and a permanent feed. I was upgrading a Dynalite system the other week, that used an RS485 bus between dimmers, driven by the AV control processor, which used the corporate LAN to talk to the touch panels / iPads.

In your experience what cable is often used for individual radials? it would be to standard LED downights

Not really a guide this thread is it? More of, can you please design something for free.

not though is it, as im not asking for a free design, in fact as ive stated it is being designed by a third party already. What I was hopeing for was more a basic understanding of process, like for example on a wiring diagram it shows washing machine - doesn't show you wire it via isolation switch - that comes with knowledge that sadly I lack with Home automation systems, so just trying to learn.

Thanks

I did some subby, on the tail end of a job of a similar installation. Massive property, but with a mixture of iphone/central controllers and normal lighting controls. Never got to see any of the system working - seem to me an over complication for turning on lights, but that's my opinion! Property had like a plant room just for CU's and patch panels. Understand you wanna look clued up on this, but you may look more foolish if you pretend you know a bit, when you really know nothing. Honesty is the best policy!
Why don't you email Phillips tech support, see if they can send you some information?

Edit: It seems they (Phillips Dynalite) have some sort of 'Training Academy' with videos etc?

Last edited:
make sure you keep all drawings my M8 did a whole house for the audio visual company one time & they were asked at first fix to come & check all was okay & could not make anyway second fix finished AV company in looks great but missing a load of cables.
turns out they had forgotten to give out one of the drawings for the project.
you can imagine the clients comments but luckily my M8 had kept all drawings supplied to him & sure enough one short.

there a few ways to wire controls depending on the type of system if its Crestron or a basic system like Sonos you need to know first as previous post could be very costly.

Last edited:
If they're requesting cat 5 to the control pads, then it is likely they want it back to the Lighting Control Module.
It's unlikely that they will also want a switch line as well.

Reply to Beginners guide to home automation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net