Discuss Bit quick advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Wiring a couple containers up, refrigeration units. External to factory unit, about 10m from incomer. TNCS supply, thinking we should be dropping a rod in at the containers, but additional to TNCS earth so not separating. Can anyone advise?

Doubt it has a board they are just big fridges or freezers. You may want to avoid rcds because if they trip and no one is aware a lot of loss/money maybe at stake.

There is a remote possibility of someone sensing a potential difference between the containers and true earth but I would say this is highly unlikely unless the containers are somehow not in contact with the ground.

It's interesting that then the 18th edition comes into play then all socket outlets upto 32 amp require 30mA rcd protection (unless that changes after consideration during the draft).
In the mean time your okay not to have rcd protected unless required by other means as you will know.

Yes Ian, I understand the requirements for RCD . My question is based around do I rod it or not, and if I do should I separate it from the TNCS earth

Yes Ian, I understand the requirements for RCD . My question is based around do I rod it or not, and if I do should I separate it from the TNCS earth
If you rod it then yes I'd separate it from the supply earth to eliminate any possible potential differences that may appear.
its a steel container is it?
Sounds just like a separate building(container) so tncs can be used and steel frame can be bonded to MET

Does it require a main protective bond. If you rod it and separate the earth you are in back to the rcd scenario which you need to avoid.

Reply to Bit quick advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net