Discuss Blue C Form plug on cooker in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This may sound odd, but is there any reason I can't pop a Blue C Form plug on a cooker - new range cooker arrived and it needs only 20 Amps as most of it is gas except for one oven and the igniter. The radial Cooker circuit is already in and the isolator is on the wall (nicely tiled around) to one side of the cooker so it is not hidden in a cupboard, but on the wall as we always used to have them. All I need do is connect the tails of the cooker to the tails coming out of the isolator which are running behind the tiles, down the wall behind the kitchen units and are visible under the kickboards fed into a junction box on the wall... Is there any reason I could not pop a blue c form plug (20amps) on the cooker and replace the junction box with a c form socket on the wall at the appropriate height behind cupboard units - it was just a thought for a quick means of plugging the range in and out. I've never seen it done before and wondered if there was a reason why - bearing in mind c form plugs can be up to 32amp on single phase... I guess there size means they would not be great for this purpose, but putting that aside - could a blue c form plug be used to connect a cooker in a domestic environment assuming there is a radial circuit fed to the cooker isolator then use a C form plug where cooker tails meets the isolator tails at the back of kitchen units - yes I know no one wants a big c form plug poking out of the back of a cupboard in their new £20.000 kithcen, but I just wondered if there was a technical reason this could not be done.

No reason why this could not be done as long as the plug top, socket, and flex were all rated for the job, and the socket was accesible.

Totally impractical, space wasting, and defies reason though. Why you would want a bulky 32A plug/socket connection when a slim fitting connection solution of up to 50A is already available is beyond me. Why do you think the range cooker would need to be easily unplugged ?

Only takes like 5 mins to dissconnect. Unless it's coming out a frequently by unskilled persons then what's the point?

Is there any reason I could not pop a blue c form plug (20amps) on the cooker and replace the junction box with a c form socket on the wall at the appropriate height behind cupboard units

- bearing in mind c form plugs can be up to 32amp on single phase... I

There's no technical reason I can think of not to do it. You'd have to use a 32A plug as there isn't a 20A

They get a lot bigger than 32A single phase, they go up to 125A

Reply to Blue C Form plug on cooker in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock