Discuss Board change query. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

roukel01

Morning everyone

Just a quick one.

What do you guys do when doing a board change and you come accross a 9.5Kw shower on a 40amp MCB wired in 6.0mm? Its not clipped direct so current capacity tables show that its less than the 40amp MCB.

when you say not clipped direct, is the cable in insulation or buried in a masonry wall?

pull insulation away from on top of cable.leave some airspace around it. i'd also clamp the shower and see what it pulls.

edit: and i'd check the cable in the loft for any signs of overheating.

Do the calcs, drop down to 32 (or whatever) if necessary and advice the customer that the cable may need upgrading or could face nuisance tripping on the new breaker (you'll probably have to explain to them why you had to change it as well)

Que 6mm 9.5kw shower thread :)

Reply to Board change query. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am changing the electric shower in a bathroom refurbishment (my own) and just wanted to ask about the mcb rating. The existing shower was...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Ive been in and out of a huge house rewiring as the renovate it for a year of so. Every is thing done and dusted except the downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are renting and have a electric shower downstairs (extension) - a 9.5kW Triton T80Z fast-fit electric shower as well as a combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm being tasked with installing an electric shower into a property that was built back in the 1980's. The main consumer unit has only 4 ways...
Replies
Views
I had a call to a new customer who was experiencing what sounded like nuisance tripping on a kitchen ring. Some background first. It's an MK LN...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock