Discuss Board Change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Went to look at a board change this morning, all seems fine, nothing untoward, only thing was on the downstairs ring the CPC continuity was higher than I would have liked.

r1 = 0.39
rn = 0.41
r2 = 1.44

I was half expecting around 0.75 ish, how far over the expected do you accept without investigation? I would imagine its probably just a poor connection in a socket somewhere. Usually I would look and see if i tighten them all up a bit, but would it be acceptable to change the board would you say without doing anything and just making a note of it?

The Zs on all sockets were fine, just the continuity on the ring that's all. So really just wondering if you have an upper limit as to saying "yeah that will do" before you look into it.

Where do you draw the line of acceptable?
Cheers,

I wouldn't be too concerned, you have proven it's RFC, as long as you don't have spurs off spurs which may cause this and your happy with the R1+R2 readings then crack on. Like you,say it's probably a loose connection which you can remedy when you install DB.

check the cable. back in the 70's a lot of 2.5mm T/E had only a 1.0mm cpc. that would account for the higher than expected resistance.

I did have one a while ago where the cpc was 3. Something, it's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I suppose strictly speaking anything other than expected should ideally be investigated but it's interesting to know where people draw the line of acceptable.

If your calculated R1+R2 plus Ze meets the regulatory requirements for disconnection then you should be OK, however a slightly loose connection can develop to a very loos connection, so it may be worth checking R2 to find the resistance rise, but I would probably not worry about that too much.
0.6 * 1.44 should give r1 of 0.8 so not really within the 0.05 Ω, but not terrible.

The house was built in 1990, definately 1.5 as its bigger than the lights which is 1.0

Whst is it 2.3 ohms on a 32A type B x 0.8, so yes it will be under so not concerned.

Richard, where are you getting the 0.6 from?

no, your max Zs for a 32A type B is 1.44. 1.08 if you use the 0.8 correction.

i've seen RFCs installed with the cpc's wired to the back boxes and fly leads taken to the sockets. this could leads to high resistance.

i've seen RFCs installed with the cpc's wired to the back boxes and fly leads taken to the sockets. this could leads to high resistance.

My house was done like that until I changed it, it's only when I thought I'd replace all the faceplates then thought, damn who did this, it's a bit cowboy ish IMHO.

no, your max Zs for a 32A type B is 1.44. 1.08 if you use the 0.8 correction.

I must be thinking of a 20A, I'm doing this job in a week 10 days ish, so I'll see what the readings are, what was nice, I said to the customer, please can you make sure everything is unplugged Nd switched off and all light bulbs removed and all light switches on, and they did, couldn't believe it, the iR on all ircuits to my amazement was greater than 500M ohms

The house was built in 1990, definately 1.5 as its bigger than the lights which is 1.0

Whst is it 2.3 ohms on a 32A type B x 0.8, so yes it will be under so not concerned.

Richard, where are you getting the 0.6 from?

Sorry that is just my method of calculation, backward from recommended. If the cpc is 1.67 x the resistance of the line for 2.5/1.5 then the line is (1/1.67) = 0.6 x the resistance of the cpc. I just find it easier to multiply by six and divide by ten in my head than try and multiply by 1.67.

My house was done like that until I changed it, it's only when I thought I'd replace all the faceplates then thought, damn who did this, it's a bit cowboy ish IMHO.

I don't know about cowboyish, it was a fairly common practice once. Usually the cpc which goes to the box first will be an unbroken conductor just folded to fit in the terminal, pretty unlikely to cause a high resistance.

I agree fully that it is not the right way to do it these days though.

I don't know about cowboyish, it was a fairly common practice once. Usually the cpc which goes to the box first will be an unbroken conductor just folded to fit in the terminal, pretty unlikely to cause a high resistance.

Agreed it was common practice. Late 80's to 90's. I never did.

That's how I was taught in college in 2011. WAS...

Because earthing of back boxes was standard practice in those days, it's how I was taught.
These days it is not a requirement, but many people still consider it to be good practice.

It is a debate that has gone on since time immemorial, and I don't suppose it will stop anytime soon

Reply to Board Change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock