Discuss Bogus NICEIC companies in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Approved spark

Hi Guys

Could you give your views on bogus companies falsifying the NICEIC logo

whilst working in London recently I noted many companies displaying the NICEIC Logo but were not registered contractors, IN FACT they used approved contractors and think it ok to display the logo ON THEIR BEHALF!

I have approached NICEIC about his but they don't seem concerned, I don't think its fair for us approved contractors to pay the fee have and have annual assessments when tom dick and harry can just plonk the logo on their t shirt and websites claiming they are approved!

I think ALL NICEIC approved contractors should unite and boycott the NICEIC to start to combat this fraud.

YOUR Views please as im taking to the head of NICEIC

Thanks

Hi Guys

Could you give your views on bogus companies falsifying the NICEIC logo

whilst working in London recently I noted many companies displaying the NICEIC Logo but were not registered contractors, IN FACT they used approved contractors and think it ok to display the logo ON THEIR BEHALF!

I have approached NICEIC about his but they don't seem concerned, I don't think its fair for us approved contractors to pay the fee have and have annual assessments when tom dick and harry can just plonk the logo on their t shirt and websites claiming they are approved!

I think ALL NICEIC approved contractors should unite and boycott the NICEIC to start to combat this fraud.

YOUR Views please as im taking to the head of NICEIC

Thanks

There is a builder round my way that has the NICEIC and gas safe logo on his van with tiny writing above saying "in association with approved contractors" I think it's misleading! You can see the logos from a mile off but can't see the the writing until your right next to the van.

It's a bit bigger on their website.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 178
I totally agree, it's disgusting!

i complained to the NICEIC about a contractor who has the approved logo all over their clothes and van but it's just missing the word contractor, and he is a sodding domestic installer.

they couldn't give a shrite!

The NICEIC exist to con money out of honest electricians, now some dishonest people are using their logo to con money out of innocent people and take work from honest electricians.
You have to laugh really don't you!

This is more about BRANDING, NICEIC need to make itself known for Electricians, it needs to post a few adverts NOW REALLY to make it the NAME to TRUST for Electricians. Also it needs to find some guy using the ICON and Sue, to scare off other people..
If they dont DO this, some Cowboy who is just using the logo to get trade kills someone and they have their Logo plastered all over it, then it will be dam too late to do any thing, name would be damaged.\

If you paid to be a part of the NICEIC then you have a right for them to keep the name clean and not let people just use it.

The other thing is EDUCATION, people dont have a CLUE what Napit NICEIC STROMA are, there is nor real branding like CORGI was. Also the Paper work for install.

I would bet that, you could make up a Electrician Governing bodies name .. SIE, Safety In Electrical's and have a Light Bulb with Eyes, winking with light coming from his smile and a Thums UP next to him.. STAMP the word TRUST at a angle on the Bulb too with the Text Safe Electrician APPROVED under it
And as for the Paper work, you can easy get a copy offline, and use that to give the person you installed it for... Put the Icon on the paper to look right, and do a VAN TEST (NB i was told what a VAN TEST was as a HORROR story by one of my tutors, were guys just sit in a VAN making up figures so everyone is happy, No Testing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys this is great stuff to build a case just what I need!

have had reply ad call back from CEO of NICEIC (Emma Nancy) basically fob off! she stated all contractors found using or displaying the logo incorrectly get put on 'the wall f shame' and reported to trading standard's- that's it!

Also contacted Professional electrician magazine who are hot on this they have are already having discussions JIB etc - its really consumer awareness that needs to0 be addressed I think - will keep you posted.

Guys this is great stuff to build a case just what I need!

have had reply ad call back from CEO of NICEIC (Emma Nancy) basically fob off! she stated all contractors found using or displaying the logo incorrectly get put on 'the wall f shame' and reported to trading standard's- that's it!

Also contacted Professional electrician magazine who are hot on this they have are already having discussions JIB etc - its really consumer awareness that needs to0 be addressed I think - will keep you posted.

What do you expect them to do? They have no power to enforce anything, they are just a private organisation which exists to extract as much money as they can from honest tradesmen and line the pockets of their shareholders.
It's not like Gassafe where there is a legal issue, the NICEIC is just a voluntary 'club'

I am sure there has been a smattering of prosecutions for this. I may be mistaken though. Gas Safe is already probably better known to Joe Public in its few years of existence (since Corgi disappeared) than all the elec schemes put together over the last 15 years.

I totally agree, it's disgusting!

i complained to the NICEIC about a contractor who has the approved logo all over their clothes and van but it's just missing the word contractor, and he is a sodding domestic installer.

they couldn't give a shrite!

Lol! Theres a few domestic installers round my way who have the niceic logo on their vans but have cut out the 'domestic installer' part, out of shame i guess??

and one whos had one made up with 'approved installer', just need 'domestic contractor' now

where will it end

Every sparky joining a scheme provider as his own reasons for doing so.
If you honestly believe you are joining to provide anyone with bonafide proof that "You the man" or I'm in the club, I'm proper sparky now. Then your Delusional.
Its a cash cow boys, nothing more nothing less.
Once you can accept that, it will stop bothering you.
Just do the best you can, for the right price, and keep the roof over your head and food in your bellies.
Your the one providing a professional service, your the one looking for work and trying to be competitive.
When as any scheme provider offered to help you out ??
Sorry forgot !! they will help you set up a Direct Debit Mandate from your Bank Account (How kind)

Reply to Bogus NICEIC companies in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net