Discuss Boiler fitted using 5A Plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been speaking to a neighbor who has recently had a new boiler installed.

For some reason (probably not CPS) they have not used the DP FCU that the old boiler was wired into and instead put a plug on it and used an existing double socket.

Has this been done to avoid having to issue a MWC for wiring into the existing FCU? Would this require a MWC and if so could the have been smart by disconnecting the flex from the boiler and wiring it into the new boiler thus avoiding interfering with an accessory?

Other than being shonky, is there any direct contravention of the BYB by using the plug/socket route.

My thinking is that there are Isolation and Functional Switching facilities local to the boiler and emergency Isolation by means of the DP switch(RCD) in the CU so while not ideal, and not how I would do it, it is not non-compliant.

Fire away......

No Idea, didn't fit it, more concerned that he's been told it's "against regs init" and want to get to the principle of the situation.

Your no too great at the whole discussion thing are you?:D:D:D

Doubt you will find anything specific in BS7671 but if instructions state double pole isolation a switched socket may not necessarily provide this. Better through a switched FCU or an unswitched socket so the service bod would have to remove the plug.

No Idea, didn't fit it, more concerned that he's been told it's "against regs init" and want to get to the principle of the situation.

Your no too great at the whole discussion thing are you?:D:D:D
What do you mean????

Bloke who fitted the boiler probably wasn't any good with Electrics and rather than fiddle about with an FCU he thought a plug top would be easier

My thoughts too, just want to check before saying it's alright as it is or not.

And although a bit short on the social skills, Westward does have the ultimate answer.

But why would one manufacturer say use a plug and another not, I suspect none would suggest using a plug but this doesn't really satisfy my curiosity as to why.

All of the instructions that I have seen dictate a double pole isolator with a contact separation of greater than 3mm, with a 3A fuse.

Now, if you pull a plug out of a socket then you will have double pole separation of a lot more than 3mm.

Also, BS7671 does list a plug and socket as one of the acceptable forms of isolation.
Table 53.4
The switch on a socket MAY NOT be acceptable, though, because some of those are single pole.

An 5 amp fuse is used on an oil boiler even with DPI of course it does not sound very good for either timers or zoned controls unless they are powering the double socket which is not altogether unusual. There are times especially on old boilers I am glad to see a plug because I can be 100% sure it's safe when I pull the plug.

I wouldn't trust it. I have seen several installations where the boiler and the controls have separate isolation points.
I still check with my tester before putting me fingers in there.

I fully agree with you also many boilers especially boiler house and outdoor modules are fitted with frost thermostats which require a permanent live, obviously that is separate to the switched live.
Mistakes can and do happen when tradesmen assume everything is OK instead of carrying out the few tests that only take minutes but can mean the difference between going home at the end of the day or loved ones booking a half day with the undertaker for them.

Reply to Boiler fitted using 5A Plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net