Discuss Bosch Laser Level Un-Repairable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just posting this because I'm a bit hacked off, and might give people food for thought when considering buying a Bosch product. I purchased a Bosch GLL 2-50 Cross Line Laser Level. Worked perfectly (and still does), until I knocked it over on it's tripod stand, and cracked the horizontal glass lens. I decided to get it fixed and calibrated as well. It was returned to Bosch via my local dealer. They returned it with a label saying 'This tool is un-repairable and is unsafe to operate'. Now I'm no engineer, but the damaged glass doesn't make the laser dangerous, and the dealer checked the levels and it's fine. They phoned Bosch and could get no further explanation as to what is wrong with it and why it's un-repairable. The thing is just over a year old, and surely is not destined for the bin. I've emailed Bosch and gone on their forum, but received no response. Not very good service.

i dropped my chalk line last week. no damage, but think it needs recalibrating. or is that re-chalking?

I have had issues with the level (pun intended!) of service from Bosch before. They are either complacent or under staffed I would guess. I have a lot of Bosch gear and their service has put me off a bit. Though saying that I have only ever had one problem with one bit of their kit.

I got a Bosch laser too. Not used it a great deal, but I find it gives me a bit of a head ache every time after I have used it. So not so keen on the things really.

The level is still.......level, just wanted to replace the small bit of glass. Wouldn't think it would be so difficult.

Mid, I guess the warranty is no more now if Bosch are being crap about it. So can't you take it apart carefully and see if you could put a bit of perspex in maybe. Got nothing to lose really. Annoying though mate.

I've emailed Bosch and gone on their forum, but received no response. Not very good service.

Being such high quality manufacturers
icon14.png
they possibly have very little use for a department dealing with repairs, especially when they are self inflicted lol

Take it to a local tool repair company and get them to repair and calibrate it (or price for at least).

Never had my laser level calibrated, will either test it myself, or as this week on site with the ceiling guys - we either have 12 perfectly good laser levels or 12 with exactly the same problem lol.

How about trying Leica? All the lenses are made by them anyway, horses mouth so to speak, thats partly why I bought a Leica laser level (not having a dig I have Bosch tools too!). Maybe they can help ?

hope you get it fixed I hate throwing good stuff away....

Thanks for all your helpful replies chaps. Never had much Bosch stuff before, the products might be okay, but customer service, from my experience, is not very good. I'll wait awhile before trying to fix myself...just in case they do get back to me.

Thanks for all your helpful replies chaps. Never had much Bosch stuff before, the products might be okay, but customer service, from my experience, is not very good. I'll wait awhile before trying to fix myself...just in case they do get back to me.

Buy another one exactly the same and return the one with the cracked lense for a refund lol.

Never had any problems with my spirit levels and chalk line except for the time I wanted to change the colour of the chalk so I could chalk black & white dotted lines.

I have just received a response from the Bosch forum community team;

'I have asked about this and unfortunately the answer is the same as the one you already got from service.

If the glass is not available as spare, I don't know how the damage can be repaired. I understand that obviously the glass exists but only at a factory level. Service are the right people to talk to but it appears that indeed it is un repairable this time'.

I don't think I will purchase another Bosch product, if this is the kind of service they provide. Think he chalk & line brigade will have a field day here!

For future reference, I have given up on repair this laser. The only spare part Bosch do for my laser, is the battery cover. In due course I will get a different laser (had planned to sell this one, but that's not gonna happen now). Did some research on other manufacturers, Stanley for example do spares for their lasers, including a replacement housing.

It seem Bosch manufacture 'disposable lasers'.

For future reference, I have given up on repair this laser. The only spare part Bosch do for my laser, is the battery cover. In due course I will get a different laser (had planned to sell this one, but that's not gonna happen now). Did some research on other manufacturers, Stanley for example do spares for their lasers, including a replacement housing.

It seem Bosch manufacture 'disposable lasers'.
are there drills not the same?

i havent checked milwauke or dewalts site but makita have an exploded view with all parts labeled and the part numbers, makes it easy to fix yourself if you buy the parts online

are there drills not the same?

i havent checked milwauke or dewalts site but makita have an exploded view with all parts labeled and the part numbers, makes it easy to fix yourself if you buy the parts online

You are right about Makita, spares are easy to get. I have never failed to get spares for Bosch yet either
, but to be honest all the drills seem to need are brushes and the odd trigger switch.

Not knowing what the 'piece of glass' does, would it be possible to have a piece cut and fit it yourself. Seems a shame to bin a good tool for a piece of cracked glass.

Reply to Bosch Laser Level Un-Repairable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net