Discuss Breakfast, lunch and dinner. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Now I realise a lot of you Blokes are self employed, Sub Contractors, whatever, however I cant get over the amount of Guys and Gals stopping for Breakie on the way to work, albeit Mccy Ds or some well supported Cafe.

May be I'm old fashioned and used to different times and practices, and led a sheltered like as a civil servant for a long time working overseas etc.

But when I was in the real World I always used to be aware that we had to be on site, within reason at about 8:00 regardless of the distance, have things changed that much, for the guys on the cards, for them not to worry about being late, or have bosses realised that being there at 8:00 doesn't mean you are going to start work right away, it seems to me that most sites aren't that worried about start times, more interested in work output, which I have always advocated, don't matter when you start as long as the job gets done sort of attitude, is this the norm nowadays? it's been a while since I worked on site so please humor me.

Firstly Pete, It's breakfast, dinner, tea.
No Mate Breakfast was on the way to site, lunch was 10 oclock break in my day Dinner was 13:00 tea was when you got hoe so it didn't come into the equation

See we always had breakfast around 9:00, dinner 12:30ish and a brew at 15:00 the tea when you got home.

Maybe a brew before you started at 6:30 ish. We were expected to start at 7, an by that meant you were in overalls tools ready for 7.

All dependent on if the excrement had hit the fan or not, otherwise, well they all went out of the window.

Blimey you had it easy Rob, Site 08:00 brew cake at 10:00 Dinner 13:00 brew 15:00 finish 17:00 home for Tea.

Only whilst I was on days. 7 - 5 was a pretty good screw.

Continental shifts, I just fed an watered myself when I could/when I felt hungry. My body clock was constantly screwed.

Only whilst I was on days. 7 - 5 was a pretty good screw.

Continental shifts, I just fed an watered myself when I could/when I felt hungry. My body clock was constantly screwed.
Yep know exactly where you are coming from

I can't afford breakfast, lunch or dinner, just tea. Working for myself I don't stop, prefer to get home earlier, to make the tea :)

In my early days as a sparks, dependant on the site, it was start at 8am, break at 10am for 20-30mins (dependant on the foreman), lunchtime around 1pm for 30-45mins (dependant on the foreman!) and sneaky 3pm cuppa (as long as the foreman didn't pay a visit) and finish at 5pm (earlier, if you knew where the foreman was).

Weekend working (at the car factory Oxford), meant a visit to local café at 10am (with the foreman) for the biggest fat boys breakfast, washed down with lashings of banana milkshake. It was a leisurely affair, normally lasting over an hour. But we never stopped for lunch, not that I could fit anymore in!

happy days, up before dawn, home after dark ( winter)... NOT. these days, it's "what time can i expect you?". my answer " around 10.00 - 10. 30". back home before the traffic gets heavy, 6 hour days. plenty for me .

I often see lots of trade vans in McDonalds in the mornings as I drive past - if going in that direction. Couldn't be doing with it as I just want to get to the job and get on with it. But how do you lot survive on so little tea, a mugful every hour is my ideal thing,got quite a few customers fully trained now. :D

The only reason I'm self employed is so I can dictate my own working times. I start around 9.30am, breakfast is about 45mins at 10.30. At lunchtime I try to stop somewhere for a swim or surf depending on the waves and I try to be home by 4pm ish so I miss the traffic.

Fridays is early finish for a round of golf.

If I'm working away on contract it's a different story, usually it's somewhere with no decent beaches so I get holed up for an hour in a restaurant or cafe for lunch :)

quote - New on site at 8am , 10 min break at 10 am , 30 mins at 12.30 , 10 mins at 3pm leave site at 5pm .

Pretty much much standard for Australia,
but now days not strictly enforced
as long as the job gets done.

On a site on work experience recently, it seemed to go: Breakfast, as they were on their way to the first job of the day (They arrived at 9am, I arrived a little before them to sign-in. Then waited for them) - Lunch round about 1pm in whichever house they'd ended up in. Crack on through to 4pm/5pm depending on how well work had gone that day. Then off home.

NB: They did have a snack or drink during in any down-time between jobs as well. So they didn't starve! :p

start at 8am, hour lunch at 11 then we finish at 4.

Unless I'm on price so I work through 8 till 4 and then hungrily count my money on the way to Greggs :p

Reply to Breakfast, lunch and dinner. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net