Discuss Breaking Existing Ring for Garage Conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wint100

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting my garage into a utility and living area. Currently the garage has 2 sockets and a switched fused spur that are part of the upstairs ring main. This ring main serves the upstairs bedroom only as it's classed as the 'Extension Ring Main'. It was installed as part of a re-wire in Oct 2014. There are 3 drops from upstairs but I want to separate the new area and have a ring for the converted garage. This will leave the upstairs ring serving only a single bedroom.

I have the ceiling down in the garage, so the only think I can think to do is put 3 junctions boxes above the ceiling to continue the ring for the upstairs bedroom. I'm not comfortable with JBs under the floor though that aren't accessible. Is there a particular way this is usually tackled?

I can't take the bedroom ring down for a long period to extend it for the garage and utility as the teenager would miss his xbox and computer too much. It'd be 2 months before the second fix will take place so I'm hoping to remove the 3 outlets, keep the bedroom ring on its own then have a new circuit for the garage and utility.

Also, if I do this will I have to re-test and certificate the bedroom circuit?

Any suggestions welcome.

there's more than 1 way to do this. hidden junction boxes are not the right way. i,d be happy to call round and give you a quote to get the job done safely and professionally if you get back to me. "do it once, do it right".

I'm guessing that labc are involved so they will expect full test certificates for each circuit changed and added so maybe get tel round for a quote would be a decent step forward.

Thanks for the replies and for the offer to quote the work. Luckily I have someone from work on hand for testing and inspecting so I may leave this particular problem to them. I'm doing what I can myself over this long weekend. (Pulling cables, sinking boxes etc..)

I was thinking of using the wagobox junction boxes for this and for lighting circuits. The Ashley box looks a good option as well.

thanks again

Yes of course they are involved, they were round on Monday and have approved of me doing the first fix as long as tested and inspected by a Part P electrician, which it will be.

In all fairness if he is signing it off , it is he that should be telling you what he requires.
It is just that I got the impression that you are going to test it.

Reply to Breaking Existing Ring for Garage Conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net